GIS Resources: Population
- Alexandria Digital Library (ADL) is a distributed digital library with collections of georeferenced materials
- CIESIN at Columbia University
. Readme file.
- Global Rural-Urban Mapping Project (GRUMP)—alpha version.
- There are two versions. The one that we used was adjusted to match UN totals, 2000.
- Different levels of the data is avaiable: world, regional, national
- To access the regional and national information, at the above page look for the drop down table next to the text "Switch Region"
- There are 5 products availabe but we found that these 3 products are most useful:
- Population density grid
- Urban extents grid
- Settlement points
- Using the .ascii version of these files is very simple. This format is readily worked with in ArcMap.
- The Beta version is expected to be released soon (as of summer '11)
- GeoNames. e GeoNames geographical database covers all countries and contains over eight million placenames that are available for download free of charge.
- GEOnet Names Server. Complete files of geographic names information covering countries or geopolitical areas.
- GeoNames data can be downloaded directly
- Landscan home page User need to register to download this data.
- World Gazetteer provides a comprehensive set of population data and related statistics
- AfriPop project was initiated in July 2009 with an aim of producing detailed and freely-available population distribution maps for the whole of Africa.