GIS Resources: Rainfall/Climate
- CGIAR Consortium for Spatial Information. Collections of data on population, poverty, climate, soils, crops, livestock, transportation, and biodiversity and other geospatial Global Public Goods
- Climate Prediction Center
- FEWS NET Africa Data Portal
- IRI/LDEO Climate Data Library
The IRI/LDEO Climate Data Library contains over 300 datasets from a variety of earth science disciplines and climate-related topics.
- 9/21/09 email from Michael Bell explaining some of their data files
- Global Potential Evapo-Transpiration (Global-PET) and Aridity Index (Global-Aridity). High-resolution global raster climate data related to evapo-transpiration processes and rainfall deficit for potential vegetative growth.
- International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA). The AEZ methodologies and procedures have been extended and newly implemented to make use of these digital geographical databases, and to cope with the specific characteristics of seasonal temperate and boreal climates. This report describes the methodological adaptations necessary for the global assessment and illustrates with numerous results a wide range of applications. List of Plates
- MapJourney.com is a site operated by Thomas Gumbricht and Maria Namboira used for disseminating their work on Africa and its environment.
- Mean Annual Rainfall and Rainfall Variability in the Drylands of Sub-Saharan North Africa Milich, L., 1997.
- Monthly Willmott and Matsuura Global Precipitation (1950 - 1999) : Users can generate plots or ASCII Output for area average (Lat-Lon Map), time series (Time Series), and Hovmoller diagram. National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
- National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center. Africa Rainfall Estimates
- Rainfall Estimate Differences : Columbia University
- Terrestrial Air Temperature and Precipitation: Monthly and Annual Time Series (1950 - 1999) It is a 50-year global dataset. NASA
- University of East Anglia's CRU: The best time-series climate data (according to some sources) . You can generate your own 30 year averages from these. The CGIAR's CSI has GIS grids built from those data here:
- WorldClim - Global Climate Data: WorldClim is a set of global climate layers (climate grids) with a spatial resolution of a square kilometer. They can be used for mapping and spatial modeling in a GIS or other computer programs.
- Data for current conditions (~1950-2000) contains current data from 1950-2000. They have temp, precip, bioclim and altitude in generic and esri grids at 30 arc seconds, 2.5 arc minutes, 5 arc minutes and 10 arc minutes.
- Future climate data download Future climate projections, calibrated and statistically downscaled using the WorldClim data for 'current' conditions.
- Climate change Climate change data (whether for future or past conditions) provider here was derived from the output of global climate models.