Press Reports and Success Stories
(Views expressed by the correspondents do not necessarily reflect the views of Michigan State University)
- Finance et Agriculture Le mariage possible? Supplément de L'Economiste du Faso N°182.
- At Last, Evidence that African Agriculture is Powering Economic Transformation, The Conversation, September 26, 2016.
- Africa’s real land grab. Never mind foreign interlopers. African urbanites are scooping up more land. The Economist. July 23 2016.
- FACT CHECK: Are white ex-Zim farmers driving Zambia maize boom? New Zimbabwe. 13 June 2016.
- FISP Slashed. Malawi Nation, April 21, 2016, page 1.
- Report highlights Myanmar’s aquaculture potential. Myanmar Times. Friday, 29 January 2016.
- Public-Private Partnerships for Sustainable Agriculture. Moses Hategeka. The African Executive. 02 - 09 December 2015
- MSU lands $1.8M USAID award to boost African Great Lakes’ coffee industry. Published: Sept. 30, 2015.
- Nicole Mason gives a video presentation about "The Scoop on Fertilizer Subsidies" in the AgTalks series on IFAD TV. The 20-minute online video was released May 20, 2015.
- Fertilizer Subsidies: Smart Policy or Political Trap? by Jerod Myers. Agrilinks. Apr 2, 2015.
- Fertilizer Subsidies in Sub-Saharan Africa: Smart Policy or Political Trap? Agrilinks. March 25, 2015.
- WATCH: Future Investments to Address Food Security at Scale. USAID’s Jeanne Downing interview with Thom Jayne. Agrilinks. Dec. 18, 2014.
- African governments should fund agricultural research. Moses Hategeka. Africa Review. 10 December 2014.
- Harmonizing agriculture, trade policies and research sharing key in Africa’s development. Moses Hategeka. New Vision. 04 December 2014.
- Boosting Agriculture Through Collaboration. Moses Hategeka. The African Executive. 03 December 2014.
- David Tschirley was interviewed about changes in African diets on WKAR’s Current State program on December 1, 2014.
- Fare-Talk, University of Guelph Podcast Series. Dr. Brady Deaton's interview with Thom Jayne on "Africa, Land and Economic Development." August 28, 2014.
- Weber links AFRE website to past and present. MSU AFRE website. September 26, 2014.
- Mziwanda, Regina. Amka na BBC. September 1, 2014.
- Making Agriculture Attractive to the Youth. T.S. Jayne, Milu Muyanga and Lulama Traub. SciDev Net, September 4, 2014.
- Farming and Africa’s employment challenge. T.S. Jayne, Milu Muyanga and Lulama Ndibongo Traub. Africa Green Media. Aug 21, 2014.
- Market-Friendly Policies in Zambia Pave the Way for Smallholder Maize Farmers. Feed the Future | Newsletter. August 13, 2014.
- Will the real Africa please stand up? Thomas Jayne, Jordan Chamberlin, Lulama Ndibongo Traub. Devex. 31 July 2014.
- IFAMA 2014: Is Africa's future 'upstream' and 'post-farm'? Knowledge, Technology and Society, An Institute of Development Studies Blog. 26 June 2014.
- On FISP (Editor's Note). Zambia Weekly. 16 May 2014.
- Maize marketing should be left to private sector. Abel Mboozi. The Post. 19 February 2014.
- Small Farmers Demand Land, Infrastructure And Information, Not Subsidies. Armsfree Ajanaku. The Guardaian. 16 February 2014.
- Technical Compendium of Agriculture Statistics. Zambia Economist. 8 February 2014.
- Subsidised fertiliser: Cheaper alternative or expensive way of rearing crops? Dann Okoth. Standard Digital. November 23, 2013.
- Mealie-meal prices to increase in January. Zambian Watchdog. November 21, 2013.
- Driving forward the rural development agenda in Myanmar. Livelihoods and Food Security Trust Fund. 18 November 2013.
- Removing subsidies in Zambia - the way to go? IRIN. 30 September 2013.
- Zambia's agricultural subsidies: money well spent? The Guardian. 6 September 2013.
- The value of research to feed the future. The Guardian. 4 September 2013.
- Poverty and agricultural subsidies. Zambian Economist. 5 August 2013.
- Move to aid farmers may devastate sector. Su Phyo Win. MyanmarTimes. August 4, 2103. Downloaded from http://www.mmtimes.com/ on August 6, 2013.
- Building stronger policies to fight global hunger. MSU Today. July 26, 2013.
- Maize dependency and agricultural subsidies in Zambia: In conversation with Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka. Africa Research Institute. 11 Jul 2013.
- Stakeholders Strategise To Boost Food Security In Africa. Daily Times Nigeria. June 17, 2013.
- Populist no more? Zambia's Sata scraps key food subsidy. Africa Review. 17 May 2013.
- Africa's shifting landscape inspires Food Security Group. News from the Global Center for Food Systems Innovation at Michigan State University. 18 May 2013.
- Agriculture Policy As A Retrospective Bribe? Zambian Economist. 29 April 2013.
- Maize yields in Zambia vs. other regions. Zambian Economist.
- Maize shortage renews GM debate in Zim. NewsDay. April 20, 2013.
- Conference Newsletter #1. Political Economy of Agricultural Policy in Africa, Future Agricultures Conference. Pretoria, South Africa. 18 March 2013.
- Maize shortage renews debate over GM in Zimbabwe. IRIN. 28 March 2013.
- The mealie-meal story: part 2. The Post. 08 January 2013.
- Raising the bar. www.thisisafricaonline.com. Published by The Financial Times Limited. A Global Perspective Special Report. Dec/Jan 2012.
- 8 Lowlights of 2012 - #7 NOT reforming the maize system. Zambia Weekly. 21 December 2012.
- State losing K2trn on maize subsidies. Zambia Daily Mail. 06 December 2012.
- Financial Times quotes FSRP/Zambia faculty member on new Zambia futures contract on Joburg Stock Exchange. beyondbrics. 05 December 2012.
- Is the Government subsidy to maize millers benefiting consumers? Zambian Economist. 26 November 2012.
- Proposed VAT Bill to push up cost of maize flour. Daily Nation. November 01, 2012.
- Experts fault cereals board on fixing maize prices. Business Daily. October 31, 2012.
- MP warns of toxic maize in the market. Daily Nation.October 31, 2012.
- New Bill set to push maize flour price up. Daily Nation. October 31, 2012.
- Wheat for Food Security in Africa Conference. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 18 October 2012.
- MSU Food Security Group video. Eric Crawford. MSU International Studies and Programs. August 6, 2012.
- IMF on Zambia: so far so good, but what about maize? Financial Times. 20 July 2012.
- Food Security Research Project transformation takes root. Zambia Daily Mail. 02 May 2012.
- US to contribute over US$12 million to Agriculture policy research in Zambia. Lusaka Times. 10 February 2012.
- Why have farming subsidies failed to reduce poverty? Zambian Economist. 8 December 2011.
- Expert urges agric diversification. Zambia Times. November 2011.
Experts debate path to ‘food security’. The Stanford Daily. 27 May 2011
- US Professor Advises Govt on Managing Bumper Harvests. The Post. 7 March 2011.
- FRA to Export More Maize. Zambia Daily Mail. 7 March 2011.
- A Broken Maize Marketing Policy. Zambian Economist. 22 February 2011
- State’s foray into maize marketing distorts pricing, hurts stakeholders. Steve Mbogo. Business Daily. November 1, 2010
- Maize storage: For food security or for profits? Charles Mpaka. Malawi News. 14 September 2010. (Local newspaper exposť of FSG report on maize marketing in Malawi).
- Zambia: US lecturer urges strengthening of food forecast systems in Africa. The Post, September 9, 2010
- MALAWI: All about the price of maize.IRIN News Service, February 18, 2009
- MALAWI/ZAMBIA: Food crisis looming in early 2009.IRIN News Service, December 23, 2008.
- SOUTHERN AFRICA: SADC meal planning.IRIN News Service, August 22, 2008
- AFRICA: Political will needed to check hunger.IRIN News Service, February 21, 2008
- MALAWI: Subsidising agriculture is not enough.IRIN News Service, February 5, 2008
- SOUTHERN AFRICA: New research questions link between food crisis and AIDS. IRIN News Service, June 1, 2005.
- The state of smallholder farming.... Zambian Economist. Monday, 30 June 2008.
- WEST AFRICA: How can West Africa become more food-secure? IRIN. 28 May 2008. (PDF)
AFRICA: Political will needed to check hunger. IRIN humanitarian news and analysis. UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. 21 February 2008. (Quotes work done by the Food Security Group.)
- Budgetary funding to agriculture reduces. Nicholas Mwale. Zambia Daily Mail from the week of 7-14 Feb 2008. (Quotes work done by the Food Security Group.)
- Even as Africa Hungers, Policy Slows Delivery of U.S. Food Aid. Celia W. Dugger. The New York Times. April 7, 2007. (Quotes work done by the Food Security Group.)
- Zambia Herald Business News rerport on FSRP
presentation at the the Agricultural Sector Budget Analysis meeting,
organized by the Agricultural Consultative Forum, Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka,
February 7, 2006.
- New solutions
needed to lessen HIV/AIDS impact on farming. Durban, 26 Apr 2005
thinking needed on impact of HIV/AIDS on agriculture. Johannesburg,
15 Mar 2005 (IRIN/PLUSNEWS)
- HIV/AIDS and the
agricultural sector in eastern and southern Africa: anticipating
the consequences. id21 Research Highlight: 15 June 2005
- Agricultural Commodity Levies: Who Benefits? Mwiinga, B., J. Shawa, T.S. Jayne and J. Shaffer. 2005. The Farmer, Vol. 8, No. 5: 11-12.
- DG's Petersberg
Prize recognizes innovations by Food Security III's Mali
Agricultural Market Information Support Team (PASIDMA). June
Agricultural Market Watch (or L'Observatoire
du marché agricole au Mali) by Niama Dembélé.
ICT Update. Issue 9. December 31, 2002.
- World Food Summit & Southern Africa a
12 June 02 radio discussion by E, Wongibe on RDW’s "Africa Report" program.
(Note: 2MB .wav file)
- Listen to Mali Tech, a 20 March
02 report by Silvia Sansoni on Public Radio International's "The World" program.
(Note 1.6MB file)
- This requires a RealAudio player. If you don't have it,
you can download it from Real.com.
- Read Silicon Mali,
an article about the Mali Market Information project, from the 4 February
2002 issue of Forbes.
- Kenya’s Maize “Glut” Only Hurting Rich Farmers. Jayne, T.S., G. Nyambane, and G. Argwings-Kodhek. The EastAfrican Newspaper, January 18-24, 1999, p. 19.
Food Security Group at MSU/AEC
FS III Core
Questions, comments? Contact Us