- Can Economic and Environmental Benefits Associated with Agricultural Intensification Be Sustained at High Population Densities? A Farm Level Empirical Analysis. Daniel Kyalo Willy, Milu Muyanga and T.S Jayne. 5th International Conference of AAAE. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. September 25, 2016.
- Maize Response to Nitrogen Role of soil quality. Milu Muyanga & T.S. Jayne. 2016 AAEA Annual Meeting.
August 2, 2016.
- MSU Agricultural Sector Activities in Kenya.
Milu Muyanga & T.S. Jayne. USAID-KENYA.
September 9, 2016.
- Raising Fertilizer Use by Smallholder Farmers. T.S. Jayne.
Keynote Presentation at "Seizing the Moment: Accelerating Fertilizer
Use by Smallholder Farmers" Side Event at
The African Green Revolution Forum.
Nairobi, Kenya. 6 September 2016.
- Agricultural Input Subsidy Programs in Asia and Africa:
A Review of Recent Evidence.
T.S. Jayne and Nicole Mason. Presentation at workshop on “Making Subsidies Work for Kenya.” Nairobi, Kenya.1 September 2016.
- Household Incomes and Poverty Dynamics in Rural Kenya: A Panel Data Analysis. Milu Muyanga & Phillip Musyoka. Economics of Global Poverty Conference. Gordon College, Boston. January 6-7, 2015.
- Inaugural Conference on Land Policy in Africa. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. November 11-14, 2014.
- Kenya Land Alliance Conference. Nairobi, Kenya. October 30, 2014.
- National Land Conference On Emerging Land Issues In Kenyan Agriculture And Their Implications For Food Policy And Institutional Reforms. Joint Press Briefing by Kenya Land Alliance and Michigan State University. Breakfast Press Briefing at Laico Regency Hotel, Nairobi, October 28 & 29, 2014.
- Africa’s Changing Farm Structure and the Employment Challenge. T.S. Jayne, J. Chamberlin, D. Headey, A. Chapoto, M. Muyanga, N. Sitko. IFPRI Headquarters, Washington, DC, September 4, 2014.
- How Does Rising Rural Population Density Affect Smallholder Agriculture? Evidence from Ethiopia, Kenya & Malawi. Milu Muyanga, J. Ricker-Gilbert, D. Headey, A. L., Josephson, T.S. Jayne. Food Seminar at IFPRI, Washington DC. September 4, 2014.
- Changing Dynamics Around Land In African Agriculture. Milu Muyanga, T.S. Jayne & Jordan Chamberlin. Bureau for Food Security|USAID. Washington, DC. June 10, 2014.
- Changing Dynamics Around Land in African Agriculture. Milu Muyanga, T.S. Jayne & Jordan Chamberlin. Grow Africa Investment Forum. Abuja, Nigeria. May 6, 2014.
- Under the Radar Screen: The Rapid Rise of Emergent Farmers in Africa. Milu Muyanga, T.S. Jayne, Antony Chapoto, Nicholas Sitko. World Bank Land and Poverty Conference. Washington, DC. March 26, 2014.
- How do fertilizer subsidy programs affect total fertilizer use in sub-Saharan Africa? Crowding out, diversion, & benefit/cost assessments. Nicole M. Mason on behalf of co‐authors T.S. Jayne, David Mather, and Jacob Ricker-Gilbert. Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE) conference on Economic Development in Africa. St. Catherine’s College, University of Oxford. Oxford, UK. March 24, 2014.
- Kenya Fertilizer Policy “Success Story”: 1990 to ~2008. J. Ariga and T. Jayne. Technical Convening On Agricultural Inputs Policy in Africa. Addis Ababa. December 5-7, 2013.
- Effects of Human Population Density On Smallholder Agriculture in Kenya. Milu Muyanga & TS Jayne. Presentation at the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) Kenya. Nairobi, December 3rd, 2013.
- Implications of Increasing Population Densities on Farm Intensification and Poverty Reduction Strategies in Kenya. Milu Muyanga & TS Jayne. Presentation at the USAID-Kenya, Nairobi, November 26th, 2013.
- Land Access in Kenya: Are The Current Land Polices Fostering Inclusive Agricultural Growth? Milu Muyanga & TS Jayne. Africa Studies Center, Eye on Africa Speaker Series. Michigan State University. October 24, 2013.
- Land constraints in Africa and their implications for development. Derek Headey, Thom Jayne, and Jordan Chamberlin. University of California, Davis, October 14, 2013.
- Effects of Increasing Population Density on Smallholder Agricultural Intensification in Rural Kenya. Milu Muyanga & T.S. Jayne. Poster presentation. 1st International Conference on Global Food Security. Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands. 29 Sept–2 Oct 2013.
- Land Access In Kenya: Are The Current Land Polices Fostering Inclusive Agricultural Growth? Milu Muyanga & TS Jayne. 1st International Conference on Global Food Security. Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands. 29 Sept–2 Oct 2013.
- Population Density, Land, and Future Trajectories of Structural Transformation in Africa. T.S. Jayne, Jordan Chamberlin, Milu Muyanga, Derek Headey. Simon Brand Memorial Lecture. Agricultural Economists Association of South Africa Annual Meetings. Bela Bela, South Africa. 1 Oct 2013.
- 4th International Conference of the African Association of Agricultural Economists. Hammamet, Tunisia. September 22-25, 2013
- Modeling the Effects of Input Market Reform on Fertilizer Demand and Maize Production: A Case Study of Kenya. Megan Sheahan, Joshua Ariga, and T.S. Jayne. Selected presentation. Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA) Annual Meetings. Washington, DC.
August 4-6, 2013.
- Smallholder Land Access in Kenya: Are the current land institutions and policies fostering Broad-Based Agricultural Growth? Milu Muyanga and T.S. Jayne. Presented at the World Bank Annual Conference on Land and Poverty 2013. Washington DC. April 8-11, 2013.
- Medium Scale Farmer Growth Trajectories in Africa: Implications for Broad-Based Growth and Poverty Reduction. Milu Muyanga, Nicholas Sitko, T.S. Jayne, Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Future Agricultures Conference on Political Economy of Agricultural Policy in Africa, Roode Vallei Hotel, Pretoria, South Africa, March 18-20, 2013.
- A Study of Rural Household Wealth Dynamics in Kenya. Milu Muyanga, T.S. Jayne, William J. Burke. 2012 African Economic Conference. Kigali, Rwanda. October 30–November 2, 2012.
- Emerging Land Constraints in Kenya’s Densely Populated Rural Areas: Implications for food policy and institutional reforms. Milu Muyanga and T.S. Jayne. 28th International Conference of Agricultural Economics. Foz do Iguacu, Brazil. August 18-24, 2012.
- Are Farmers Under-Utilizing Fertilizer? Evidence from Kenya. Megan Sheahan, Roy Black, T.S. Jayne. International Association of Agricultural Economists Triennial Conference. Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil, August 2012.
- Smallholder Behavioral Responses to Grain Marketing Board Activities in Dual Channel Marketing Systems: Overcoming Modeling Challenges & Evidence from Zambia & Kenya. Nicole M. Mason, David Mather, and T.S. Jayne. Presentation at the mini-symposium on "The Microeconomic Effects of Grain Marketing Boards on Farm Households in sub-Saharan Africa: Modeling Challenges, Empirical Evidence, and Implications for Research & Policy", International Association of Agricultural Economists Triennial Conference. Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil, 22 August 2012
- Cross-Country Impacts of Inputs Subsidies: Insights on Targeting, Crowding-out & Production from Kenya, Malawi and Zambia. J. Ricker-Gilbert, N.M. Mason, D. Mather, T.S. Jayne. Presentation made by Ricker-Gilbert during a mini-symposium entitled "Input Promotion Programs in Africa: What Works, What Doesn’t, and Why?", International Association of Agricultural Economists Triennial Conference. Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil. 20 August 2012.
- The Impact of State Marketing Board Operations on Smallholder Behavior and Incomes: The Case of Kenya. David Mather and T.S. Jayne. Selected paper presented by Mather at the International Association of Agricultural Economists Triennial Conference. Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil, 19 August 2012.
- Is Older Better? Maize Hybrid Change on Household Farms in Kenya. Melinda Smale and John Olwande. A Poster presented at the International Association of Agricultural Economists (IAAE) Triennial Conference, Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil, 18-24 August, 2012.
- Addressing the “Wicked Problem” of Input Subsidy Programs in Africa: A Review. Jacob Ricker-Gilbert, Thomas Jayne, and Gerald Shively. AAEA – Seattle, August 14, 2012.
- Emerging Land Issues In African Agriculture: Implications for Food Security and Poverty Reduction Strategies. T.S. Jayne, J. Chamberlin, M. Muyanga. USAID Bureau for Food Security. Washington, D.C. May 31, 2012.
- Unpacking the meaning of “market access”: evidence from Kenya & Zambia. Jordan Chamberlin, Thom Jayne, Antony Chapoto. Increasing Agricultural Productivity & Enhancing Food Security in Africa, UNECA, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. November 1-3, 2011.
- The role of maize price risk in technology adoption: Lessons for policies to promote smallholder productivity. Paswel Marenya, T.S. Jayne and Robert Myers. Presented at the 4th African Grain Trade Summit "Accelerating Growth in Grain Trade: Opportunities for Strategic Partnerships and Investment." Kampala, Uganda. 13th-14th October 2011.
- Emerging Land Constraints in Kenya’s Densely Populated Rural Areas: Implications for Food Policy and Institutional Reform. T.S. Jayne and Milu Muyanga. Presented at the Fifth Annual Michigan State University Africanist Graduate Student Research Conference, October 7-8, 2011
- Unpacking the Meaning of "Market Access" in Kenya. Jordan Chamberlin and T.S. Jayne. Presentation by Chamberlin at MSU's Africanist Graduate Student Research Conference, East Lansing. October 8, 2011.
- Impacts of Land Rental Markets on Rural Poverty in Kenya, Songqing Jin and T.S. Jayne. Paper presented at the Annual Meetings of the American Agricultural Economics Association, Pittsburgh, July 26-28, 2011.
- Tegemeo Institute Agricultural Policy Conference, 27 October 2010, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Pathways into and out of Poverty: Determinants of Rural Household Wealth Dynamics in Kenya. Milu Muyanga, T.S. Jayne, and William J. Burke. Presented at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundatin, Seattle Washingon. August 10-11, 2010.
- Pathways into and out of Poverty: A Study of Determinants of Rural Household Wealth Dynamics in Kenya. Milu Muyanga, T.S. Jayne, and William J. Burke. Paper presented at the Conference on Understanding African Poverty over the Longue Durée, co-organized by Harvard University, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs and the International Institute for the Advanced Study of Cultures, Institutions and Economic Enterprise, Accra, Ghana, July 15-17, 2010
- Food Price Spikes and Strategic Interactions between the Public and Private Sectors: Market Failures or Policy Failures? T.S. Jayne and David Tschirley. Presented at the expert meeting on “Institutions and Policies to Manage Global Market Risks and Price Spikes in Basic Food Commodities,” FAO Headquarters, Rome, Italy. 27-28 October 2009
- Fertilizer Types, Availability and Consumption in Kenya. Mary K. Mathenge. Paper presented at the 6th National Fertilizer Conference in Kenya, on “Towards Increased Use of Fertilizer and Improved Seed for Food Security and Economic Growth, KARI headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya. August 20-21, 2009.
- Modernizing Africa’s Fresh Produce Supply Chains without Rapid Supermarket Takeover Towards a Definition of Research and Investment Priorities. David Tschirley, Miltone Ayieko, Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Joey Goeb. Wayne Loescher. Presented at the Conference on Agricultural Markets, organized by the CGIAR system and Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), May 13-15, 2009. Nairobi, Kenya.
- Are staple foods becoming more expensive for urban consumers in eastern and southern Africa? N. Mason, T. Jayne, C. Donovan and A. Chapoto. Presentation at the Symposium on Food and Financial Crises and Their Impacts on the MDGs in Africa. Institute for African Development. Cornell University May 2, 2009
- Trends and Patterns in Fertilizer Use by Smallholder Farmers in Kenya, 1997-2007: A Success Story? Betty Kibaara, Joshua Ariga and T.S. Jayne. Presented at the Future Agricultures Consortium Workshop Fertiliser Subsidies: Lessons from Malawi and Kenya Panafric Hotel, Nairobi. 10 February 2009.
- Food Policy Challenges in Eastern and Southern Africa in Light of the Current World Food Price Situation. T. Jayne. Egerton University-Tegemeo Institute Agricultural Policy Conference. Nairobi, Kenya. September 18, 2008.
- Trends and Patterns in Fertilizer Use by
Smallholder Farmers in Kenya,
1997-2007. Joshua Ariga, T.S. Jayne,
Betty Kibaara, and J.K. Nyoro.
Presented at the Egerton University Tegemeo Institute Agricultural Policy
Conference. Nairobi, Kenya.
17 September 2008.
- Assessment of Kenya's domestic horticultural production and marketing system and lessons for the future. David Tschirley, Miltone Ayieko. Presented at the Tegemeo Institute of Agricultural Policy and Development Conference on Agricultural Productivity, Competitiveness and Rural Poverty in Kenya: Laying the Foundation for the Kenya Vision 2030. 17-18 September, 2008 Nairobi, Kenya .
- Fertilizer Subsidies and Sustainable Agricultural Growth in Africa: Current Issues and Empirical Evidence from Malawi, Zambia, and Kenya. Isaac Minde, T.S. Jayne, Joshua Ariga, Jones Govereh, and Eric Crawford. Presentation by Jones Govereh at the IFDC workshop on “Strengthening Trade in Agricultural Inputs in Africa: Issues and Options” Taj Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, 1-4 July, 2008.
- Research Findings on Raising Smallholder Fertilizer Use: Lessons from Kenya. T.S. Jayne. Presentation at the USAID/Africa Bureau Seminar on “Expanding Fertilizer Markets in Africa,” Washington, D.C., June 4, 2008.
- Factors Associated with Farm Households’ Movement Into and Out of Poverty in Kenya: Spatial Analysis, Land Constraints and Diversification. William J. Burke, T.S. Jayne, H. AdeFreeman, P. Kristjanson. Presentation made to ODI's workshop titled: Understanding and addressing spatial poverty traps. Cape Town, 29 March 2007
- Food Pricing Policy and Rural
Poverty: Insight from Maize in Kenya. Elliot
Mghenyi, T.S. Jayne and R. Myers. Contributed paper, International Association
of Agricultural Economics Tri-Annual Meetings, Gold Coast, Australia, August
of Marketing and Trade
Policies on Maize Prices
in Kenya. T.S. Jayne, R. Myers, and J. Nyoro. Contributed paper, International
Association of Agricultural Economics Tri-Annual Meetings, Gold Coast, Australia,
August 12-18, 2006.
Affecting Small Farmers’ Use of Improved Maize Technologies:
Evidence from Kenya and Zambia, T.S. Jayne, J. Govereh, Z. Xu, J. Ariga,
and E. Mghenyi. Presented at Symposium on Seed-Fertilizer Technology, Cereal
Productivity and Pro-Poor Growth in Africa: Time for New Thinking? Symposium
held at the International Association of Agricultural Economics Tri-Annual
Meetings, Gold Coast, Australia, August 12-18, 2006.
Options for Achieving Growth and Poverty Reduction: The Role of Markets.
Thom Jayne, with input from colleagues at MSU. Presentation at the Workshop
on "Bridging Knowledge Gaps to Achieve Agricultural
Growth and Reduce Poverty and Hunger in Africa through the Comprehensive
Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP), hosted by the International
Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in collaboration with the New Partnership
for Africa's Development (NEPAD), June 20-21, Washington, D.C
- Tegemeo Agricultural
Policy Conference, Safari Park Hotel,
Nairobi, May 18, 2006.
- Maize in Eastern and Southern Africa: "Seeds" of Success in Retrospect. T.S.
Jayne and Melinda Smale, presentation at the conference on "Championing
Agricultural Successes for Africa's Future in Support of the Comprehensive
Africa Agricultural Development Programme (CAADP), May 15-18, 2006, Somerset
West, South Africa.
Should Public and Donor Investments be Targeted? T.S. Jayne,
A. Mwanaumo, J. Govereh, B. Zulu, and J. K. Nyoro. Presentation
at 1st Regional Grain Trade Summit. October 12-13, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Consumption Patterns and Supply Chain Systems in Urban Kenya: Implications For Policy and Investment Priorities. Miltone Ayieko, David Tschirley and Mary Mathenge. Nairobi, 18 April 2005.
- Improving Kenya’s Domestic Horticultural Marketing System: Current Competitiveness, Forces of Change, and Challenges for the Future. David Tschirley, Miltone Ayieko, Kavoi Mutuku Muendo and Michael T. Weber. Presented at HDC/Tegemeo Institute Workshop on “Rethinking Kenya’s Horticultural Subsector: Market and Investment Opportunities for Domestic Horticulture.” 17th November 2004. Nairobi.
- Improving Kenya's Domestic Horticultural Production and Marketing System: Current Competitiveness, Forces of Change, and Challenges for the Future . Mutuku Muendo, David Tschirley, and Michael T. Weber. (October 2004, vol 1)
- Improving Kenya’s Domestic Horticultural Production and Marketing System: Current Competitiveness, Forces of Change, and Challenges for the Future. Kavoi Mutuku Muendo, David Tschirley, and Michael T. Weber. Presented at Tegemeo Institute Conference on “Agricultural Competitiveness for Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction”. 24 March 2004. Nairobi.
- Improving Kenya’s Domestic Horticultural Production, Marketing and Consumption Systems: Current Competitiveness, Forces of Change, and Challenges for the Future. David Tschirley, Miltone Ayieko, Kavoi Mutuku Muendo and Michael T. Weber. Presented at the GHA Regional Workshop hosted by the AVRDC Regional Centre for Africa (RCA). 14th - 17th February 2004 Arusha, Tanzania.