Working Papers and Reports
Help Topics: Accessing Documents | Publication Series | Searching
- What is the Scope for Increased Fertilizer Use in Kenya? Megan Sheahan, Roy Black, and T.S. Jayne. International Development Working Paper # 125. July 2012.
- A Stochastic Production Function Analysis of Maize Hybrids and Yield Variability in Drought-Prone Areas of Kenya. Ashley D. Jones, Timothy J. Dalton, and Melinda Smale. WPS 49/2012.
- Income and Poverty Impacts of USAID-Funded Programs to Promote Maize, Horticulture, and Dairy Enterprises in Kenya, 2004-2010. Melinda Smale, Mary K. Mathenge, Thomas S. Jayne, Eduardo Magalhaes, John Olwande, Lilian Kirimi, Mercy Kamau, and James Githuku. International Development Working Paper #122. February 2012.
- The Impact of State Marketing Board Operations on Smallholder Behavior and Incomes: The Case of Kenya. David Mather and T.S. Jayne. International Development Working Paper #119. November 2011.
- Is Older Better? Maize Hybrid Change on Household Farms in Kenya. Melinda Smale and John Olwande. International Development Working Paper #114. November 2011.
- Trade and Agricultural Competitiveness for Growth, Food Security and Poverty Reduction: A Case of Wheat and Rice Production in Kenya. Raphael Gitau, Samuel Mburu, Mary K. Mathenge and Melinda Smale. WP 45/2011.
- Maize Revolutions in Sub-Saharan Africa. Melinda Smale, Derek Byerlee, and T.S. Jayne. WPS 40/20111
- A Farm Gate-to-Consumer Value Chain Analysis of Kenya’s Maize Marketing System. Lilian Kirimi, Nicholas Sitko, T.S. Jayne, Francis Karin, Milu Muyanga, Megan Sheahan, James Flock, and Gilbert Bor. International Development Working Paper #111. January 2011
- Pathways Into and Out Of Poverty: A Study Of Rural Household Wealth Dynamics In Kenya. Milu Muyanga, T.S. Jayne, and William J. Burke. WPS 39/2010.
- Agriculture in Kenya: Increasing Fertilizer Use by Smallholder Farmers. J. Ariga and T.S Jayne. 2010. in Punam Chuhan-Pole and Shanta Devarajan (eds). Yes Africa Can: Success Stories from a Dynamic Continent. The World Bank Group, Africa Region.
- Factors Driving the Increase in Fertilizer Use by Smallholder Farmers in Kenya, by Joshua Ariga and T.S. Jayne. Report posted on the World Bank’s “African Success Stories: Yes Africa Can". 2010.
- Modernizing Africa’s Fresh Produce Supply Chains without Rapid Supermarket Takeover: Towards a Definition of Research and Investment Priorities. David Tschirley, Miltone Ayieko, Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Joey Goeb, and Wayne Loescher. International Development Working Paper #106. Michigan State University. June 2010.
- Food Price Spikes and Strategic Interactions between the Public and Private Sectors: Market Failures or Governance Failures. T.S. Jayne and David Tschirley, Commodity Market Review 2009-2010, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome. 2010.
- Impacts of Usaid/Kenya supported Agricultural Productivity Interventions on Household Income and Poverty Reduction. James F. Oehmke, Thom S. Jayne, Sarma B. Aralas, and Mary K. Mathenge. WPS 38/2010.
- The Impacts of Trade Barriers and Market Interventions on Maize Price Predictability: Evidence from Eastern and Southern Africa. Antony Chapoto and T.S. Jayne. International Development Working Paper #102. Michigan State University. December 2009.
- Private Sector Responses to Public Investments and Policy Reforms. The Case of Fertilizer and Maize Market Development in Kenya. Joshua Ariga and T. S. Jayne. IFPRI Discussion Paper 00921. November 2009
- Characteristics Associated with Prime-Age Mortality in Eastern and Southern Africa: Evidence from Zambia and Kenya. Antony Chapoto, T.S Jayne, L. Kirimi, and S. Kadiyala. International Development Working Paper #99. Michigan State University. September 2009.
- Are Staple Foods Becoming More Expensive for Urban Consumers in Eastern and Southern Africa? Trends in Food Prices, Marketing Margins, and Wage Rates in Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia. Nicole Mason, T.S. Jayne, Cynthia Donovan, and Antony Chapoto. IDWP 98. June 2009.
- Has Kenyan Farmers’ Access to Markets and Services
Improved? Panel Survey Evidence, 1997-2007. Jordan Chamberlin and T.S. Jayne. WPS 37/2009.
- Impacts of USAID/Kenya Supported Agricultural Productivity Interventions on Household Income and Poverty Reduction. James F. Oehmke, Thom S. Jayne, Sarma B. Aralas, and Mary K. Mathenge. WPS 38/2010
- The 2008/09 Food Price and Food Security Situation in Eastern and Southern Africa: Implications for Immediate and Longer Run Responses. T.S. Jayne, Antony Chapoto, Isaac Minde, and Cynthia Donovan. International Development Working Paper #97. Michigan State University. 2008.
- Agricultural Policy-Making in Sub Saharan Africa: CAADP Progress in Kenya. Betty Kibaara, Raphael Gitau, Simon Kimenju, James Nyoro, Michael Bruntrup and Roukayatou Zimmermann. WPS 35/2008
- Spatial Disadvantages or Spatial Poverty Traps: Household Evidence
from Rural Kenya.
by W.J. Burke and T.S. Jayne. IDWP 93. 2008.
- Off-Farm Work And Farm Production Decisions:Evidence From Maize-Producing Households In Rural Kenya. Mary K. Mathenge and David L. Tschirley. WPS 33/2008.
- Assessment of Kenya's Domestic Horticultural Production and Marketing Systems and Lessons for the future. David Tschirley and Miltone Ayieko.
- Trends In Kenyan Agricultural Productivity: 1997-2007. Betty Kibaara, Joshua Ariga, John Olwande and T.S. Jayne. WPS 31/2008.
- Rural Incomes, Inequality And Poverty Dynamics In Kenya. Tavneet Suri, David Tschirley, Charity Irungu, Raphael Gitau, Daniel Kariuki. WPS 30/2008
- Agriculture And Livelihood Diversification In Kenyan Rural Households. Simon C. Kimenju and David Tschirley. WPS 29/2008
- Trends and Patterns in Fertilizer Use by
Smallholder Farmers in Kenya, 1997-2007. Joshua Ariga, T.S. Jayne, Betty Kibaara, and J.K. Nyoro. WPS 28/2008.
- Factors Associated with Farm Households’ Movement Into and Out of Poverty in Kenya: The Rising Importance of Livestock. by William J. Burke, T.S. Jayne, H. Ade Freeman, and P. Kristjanson. January 2007. IDWP 90.
- Smallholder Farming
Under Increasingly Difficult Circumstances: Policy and Public Investment
Priorities for Africa by T.S. Jayne, D. Mather, and E. Mghenyi. 2006.
- Enhancing Access and Utilization of Quality Seed for improved Food Security in Kenya. Miltone W. Ayieko and David L. Tschirley.Working Paper No 27/2006
- Agricultural Extension in Kenya : Practice and Policy Lessons. Milu Muyanga and T.S. Jayne. Working Paper 26 (2006)
- Factors Driving the Growth in Fertilizer Consumption in Kenya, 1990-2005:Sustaining the Momentum in Kenya and Lessons for Broader Replicability in Sub-Saharan Africa. Joshua Ariga, T.S. Jayne, and J. Nyoro. Tegemeo Working paper 24/2006.
- Seasonal Analysis of Selected Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Prices at Wholesale Level in Key Urban Markets of Kenya. Mary Mathenge and David Tschirley. Working Paper No. 22 May 2006
- Technical efficiency in Kenyan’s maize production: an application of the stochastic frontier approach. Betty Wambui Kibaara. 2005.
- Rural Poverty Dynamics, Agricultural Productivity and Access to Resources. Paul Gamba and Elliot Mghenyi. Draft Working paper 21. 11/29/04
- Staple Food Consumption Patterns in Urban Kenya: Trends and Policy Implications. Milu Muyanga, T.S. Jayne, G. Argwings-Kodhek, Joshua Ariga. Working paper 19.
- Fresh Fruit And Vegetable Consumption Patterns And Supply Chain Systems In Urban Kenya: Implications For Policy And Investment Priorities. Ayieko M W, Tschirley D L, and Mathenge M W. Working paper 16.
- Effects of government maize Marketing trade Policies on maize Market Prices in Kenya. T.S. Jayne, Robert J. Myers, and James Nyoro. Tegemeo Working paper 15/2005
- Working-Age Adult Mortality and Primary School Attendance in Rural Kenya. Takashi Yamano and T.S. Jayne. Working Paper No. 11 2004.
- Competitiveness of Kenyan and Ugandan Maize Production: Challenges for the Future. James K. Nyoro, Lilian Kirimi, and T.S. Jayne. Tegemeo Working paper 10
- Improving Kenya's Domestic Horticultural Production and Marketing System: Current Competitiveness, Forces of Change, and Challenges for the Future - Volume III:Horticultural Research And Input Sector Regulation In Kenya And Tanzania. Kavoi Mutuku Muendo and David Tschirley. Working Paper No. 08C/2004.
- Improving Kenya's Domestic Horticultural Production and Marketing System: Current Competitiveness, Forces of Change, and Challenges for the Future - Volume II: Horticultural Marketing. David Tschirley, Kavoi Mutuku Muendo, and Michael T. Weber. Working Paper No. 08B/2004.
- Improving Kenya's Domestic Horticultural Production and Marketing System: Current Competitiveness, Forces of Change, and Challenges for the Future - Volume1:Horticultural Production. Kavoi Mutuku Muendo and David Tschirley. Working Paper No. 08A/2004.
Dairy Industry in Kenya: The Post-Liberalization Agenda. Karanja, A.M.
- Wheat Farmers Seed Management and Varietal Adoption in Kenya. Paul Gamba Caroline Ngugi Hugo Verkuijl Wilfred Mwangi Frank Kiriswa November 2003.
- Developing Income Proxy Models for use by the USAID Mission in Kenya: A Technical Report. David Tschirley and Mary Mathenge. Tegemeo Working Paper 7 November 2003
- Developing Income Proxy Models for Use by Title II-funded NGOs in Kenya: A Technical Report for NGOs and USAID/Kenya. David Tschirley and Mary Mathenge. Tegemeo Working Paper 6 October 2003.
and Rural Growth in Kenya. James K. Nyoro. June 2002.
Prices and Regulation and Their Impact on Livelihoods of Rural Community
in Kenya. Karanja, A.M.
and J.K. Nyoro. October 2002.
- Internalizing Environmental Quality in a Simple Endogenous Growth Mode. Joshua M. Ariga. 2002.
- Measuring the Effects of Prime-age Adult Mortality in Kenya. Takashi Yamano and T. S. Jayne. Tegemeo Working Paper 5 October, 2002.
- Fertilizer Markets and Agricultural Production Incentives: Insights from Kenya. Maria Wanzala, T.S. Jayne, John M. Staatz, Amin Mugera, Justus Kirimi, and Joseph Owuor. Tegemeo Working Paper 3. June 25, 2001.
- Do Farmers Really Benefit From High Food Prices? Balancing Rural Interests in Kenya’s Maize Pricing and Marketing Policy. T.S. Jayne, T. Yamano, J. Nyoro, and T. Awuor. Tegemeo working paper 2B. April 28, 2001.
- Evolution of Kenya’s Maize Marketing Systems in the Post-Liberalization Era. J. K. Nyoro, M. W. Kiiru and T. S. Jayne. Tegemeo working paper number 2A. June, 1999.
- Baseline characteristics of smallholder agriculture and non farm activities for selected districts in Kenya (1998). Jayne,Thomas, Kodhek,Gem, Nyambane,G and Yamano,Takashi
- Consumer response to maize market liberalization in urban Kenya. T.S. Jayne and Gem Argwings-Kodhek. August 1997.
- Urban Maize Meal Consumption Patterns: Strategies for Improving Food Access for Vulnerable Urban Households in Kenya. Mulinge Mukumbu and Thomas S. Jayne. 1994.
- Contemporary Issues Determining the Future of Kenyan Agriculture: An Agenda for Policy and Research. Gem Argwings-Kodhek
- Critique of “Agriculture and Technical Change” F.H Gruen, JPE 43(1961). Joshua Ariga.
- Determinants of Agricultural Productivity in Kenya. Joseph Owuor.
- Factors Affecting the Distribution and Use Of Fertilizer in Kenya: Preliminary Assessment. Lawrence O. Mose.
- How Can Micro-Level Household Information Make a Difference for Agricultural Policy Making? Selected Examples from the KAMPAP Survey of Smallholder Agriculture and Non Farm Activities for Selected Districts in Kenya. Gem Argwings-Kodhek, T.S. Jayne, Gerald Nyambane, Tom Awuor, and T. Yamano.
- Maize Productivity And Impact of Market Liberalization in Kenya. Daniel D. Karanja, Thomas S. Jayne and Paul Strasberg
- Marketing costs and their influence on farm-gate and consumer prices.
- National and Regional Markets: Opportunities and Challenges for Cooperatives and Farmer Groups. Joshua Ariga and James Nyoro.
- Successes and Challenges of Food Market Reform: Experiences From Kenya, Mozambique, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. T.S. Jayne, Mulinge Mukumbu, Munhamo Chisvo, David Tschirley, Ballard Zulu, Michael T. Weber, Robert Johansson, Paula Santos, and David Soroko.
- TAMPA :Measuring Income and The Potential For Poverty Reduction In Rural Kenya. Gem Argwings-Kodhek, Mary W. Kiiru, David Tschirley, Bridget A. Ochieng, Betty W. Landan.
- Trends in Regional Agricultural Productivity in Kenya. James K. Nyoro and T.S. Jayne