Food Security Group: Research, Policy Dialogue, and Training Projects
Outreach Contributions 2015/2016: (Activities listed as most recent from Sept 30, 2016 back to Oct 1, 2015)
- The Myanmar Aquaculture-Agriculture Survey 2016. Ben Belton and Ellen Payongayong. Food Security Policy Project Research Highlights #1. September 2016.
- Drivers of Change in African Food Systems and Economic Transformation. T.S. Jayne, Milu Muyanga, Kwame Yeboah and Nicholas Sitko. Millennium Challenge Corporation, Washington, DC. September 29, 2016.
- Invited Plenary Session on Evolving Land Dynamics in African Agriculture, Triennial Meetings of the Association of African Agricultural Economists, September 23-26, 2016, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Moderator: Thomas Jayne
- Africa's evolving employment trends: Implications for youth livelihoods in the agrifood system. F. Kwame Yeboah, Thomas S. Jayne. 5th International Conference of AAEA. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. September 23‐26, 2016.
- MSU AFRE FSG Contributions to African Green Revolution Forum, September 2016
- Africa's evolving employment structure: Causes and Consequences. F. Kwame Yeboah, Thomas S. Jayne. FAO Technical Workshop. Rome, Italy. September 19‐20, 2016.
- News articles and TV coverage of the Launch of the 2016 Africa Agriculture Status Report, featuring research findings emanating from FSP, GISAIA and ReNAPRI research activities:
- Channels Nigeria Television Station, "African Countries Make Remarkable Agricultural Productivity Growth"
- Malawi Broadcasting Corporation (MBC), "Africa agriculture status report 2016 launched in Kenya"
- Rwanda News Agency, "African countries that embraced agriculture saw food production, GDP and nutrition all improve"
- East Africa Standard, "Only 13 African countries are investing enough in agriculture"
- Alliance for a Green Revolution, "Countries that Embraced Agriculture Saw Food Production, GDP & Nutrition Improve"
- Alliance for a Green Revolution, "New Report Makes a Strong Case for Betting Big on Agriculture in Africa"
- East Africa Standard, "One in five Africans are underfed due to climate impact on farming"
- SINA (China English Language News Agency), "Rising land prices, soil infertility inhibit Africa's agricultural growth"
- Transformation of Horticulture Supply Chains in an era of Rapid Urbanization in developing Asia.
September 8, 2016.
- Raising Fertilizer Use by Smallholder Farmers. T.S. Jayne.
Keynote Presentation at "Seizing the Moment: Accelerating Fertilizer
Use by Smallholder Farmers" Side Event at
The African Green Revolution Forum.
Nairobi, Kenya. 6 September 2016.
- Africa Agriculture Status Report 2016. Progress towards Agricultural Transformation in Africa. Released on September 6, 2016 by the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA).
- Agricultural Input Subsidy Programs in Asia and Africa:
A Review of Recent Evidence.
T.S. Jayne and Nicole Mason. Presentation at workshop on “Making Subsidies Work for Kenya.” Nairobi, Kenya.1 September 2016.
- Ngoma, H., Mulenga, B. P., and Jayne, T. S. (2016). Minimum tillage uptake and uptake intensity by smallholder farmers in Zambia. African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Volume 11, issue 4, in press.
- Africa's evolving employment
livelihoods. F. Kwame
Jayne. Annual Meeting of Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA). Boston, MA. August 1, 2016.
- Intra-Rural Migration in Tanzania and Pathways of Welfare Change. Ayala Wineman and Thomas S. Jayne. Agricultural & Applied Economics Association Annual Meeting. Boston, Massachusetts, July 31-August 2.
- Can Input Subsidy Programs Promote Climate Smart Agriculture in Africa? T.S. Jayne, Nicholas J. Sitko, Nicole M. Mason, and David Skole. MSU Policy Synthesis #93. July 2016.
- Africa’s Evolving Employment Structure: Implications for economic transformation. Kwame Yeboah and T.S. Jayne. Plenary Presentation, International Conference on Applied Bioeconomy Research. June 27, 2016. Ravello, Italy.
- Africa’s Changing Farmland Ownership and Use: Considering the Policy Implications. T.S. Jayne, Ward Anseeuw, Richard Kachule, Milu Muyanga, Kwame Yeboah, and Nicholas Sitko. Keynote Address, Malawi Land Symposium. Lilongwe, Malawi. April 20, 2016
- Analyzing Trends in Herbicide Use in Sub-Saharan Africa. Philip Grabowski and Thom Jayne. IDWP 142. April 2016.
- Toward Sustainable Intensification of Agriculture in East and Southern Africa: What Have We Learned? T.S. Jayne. GISAIA Policy Symposium, Ministry of Agriculture. Lilongwe, Malawi. 21 April 2016.
- Africa’s evolving employment structure: Trends and implications for economic transformation. Felix K. Yeboah and Thomas S. Jayne. Development Brown Bag Seminar. April 6, 2016.
- Africa’s Changing Farmland Ownership: The Rise of the Emergent Investor Farmer. T.S. Jayne, Jordan Chamberlin, Lulama Ndibongo Traub, N. Sitko, Milu Muyanga, Felix K. Yeboah, Chewe Nkonde, Ward Anseeuw, A. Chapoto, and Richard Kachule. Annual World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty. Washington D.C. March 14–18, 2016.
- Is Small Still Beautiful? The Farm Size-Productivity Relationship Revisited in Kenya. Milu Muyanga & T.S. Jayne. Annual World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty 2016, Washington, DC. March 14-18, 2016.
- The Role of Land Policy in Agricultural Transformation and Inclusive Economic Growth: Implications for Africa. Thomas Jayne, M.Mercedes Stickler, Caleb Stevens, and Sarah Lowery. March 16, 2016.
- Agricultural land dynamics and land policy in rural Tanzania. Milu Muyanga, Isaac Minde, David Nyange, Ntengua Mdoe, Charles Mgeni, Christopher G. Magomba, Judith V. Rejea, Ayala Wineman, T.S. Jayne. 2nd Annual Agricultural Policy Conference. Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. February 25, 2016.
- Land Policy Sharing and Coordination Session, Thom Jayne and Emily Weeks (facilitators), Bureau for Food Security Policy Division Partners Meeting, Arlington, VA, December 14-15, 2015.
- Thom Jayne, learning session with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Front Office, December 8, 2015, Seattle, Washington.
- Transforming Smallholder Agriculture in the Face of Rising Land Scarcity and Low Productivity. T.S. Jayne, Kwame Yeboah, Lulama Traub, Milu Muyanga, Jordan Chamberlin, Ferdinand Meyer. Keynote Address, Tegemeo Institute Agricultural Policy Conference, Nairobi. November 10, 2015.
- Impact of Urbanization on West African Food Systems. John Staatz. Presentation to the OECD/Sahel and West Africa Week Forum 2015. Milan, October 26, 2015.
- Reassessing the Concept and Measurement of Market Access: Evidence from Zambian Maize Markets. Antony Chapoto and Thom Jayne. 2nd International Conference on Global Food Security 11-14 October 2015, Ithaca, NY, USA.
- You Can Have Your Rice and Eat Fish Too: Rice, fish, land use trade-offs and food security in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Ben Belton, Aung Hein, Kyan Htoo, Seng Kham, Paul Dorosh, Emily Schmidt. Poster presented at the Global Food Security conference, Cornell University. October 11-14, 2015.
- How can agricultural development strategies effectively reduce poverty in Africa? T.S. Jayne, Kwame Yeboah, Lulama Traub, Milu Muyanga, Jordan Chamberlin, Ferdinand Meyer. Ag. Learning Lunch seminar, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Seattle. October 6, 2015.
Questions, comments? Contact Us