Food Security Group: Research, Policy Dialogue, and Training Projects
Outreach Contributions 2016/2017: (Activities listed as most recent from Sept 30, 2017 back to Oct 1, 2016)
- Allen, A., Howard, J., Kondo, M. A. Jamison, T.S. Jayne, J. Snyder, D. Tschirley, and Kwame Yeboah. 2017. Youth employment opportunities in African agrifood systems. GREAT Insights Magazine, Volume 6, Issue 1, pp 16-18. February/March 2017.
- Raising Crop Response:Bidirectional learning to catalyze sustainable intensification at multiple scales. Sieg Snapp, Freddy Baijukya, Mateete Bekunda, Ken Giller, Neema Kassim, Thom Jayne, Nicky Mason, Judith Odhiambo, Jean Claude Rubyogo and Hamisi Tindwa. Presentation to USAID/Tanzania, March 2, 2017.
- Megatrends transforming Tanzania’s agri-food systems: Towards inclusive economic transformation? T.S. Jayne, Milu Muyanga, Kwame Yeboah, Ayala Wineman and Lulama Traub. Presentation at Third Annual Agricultural Policy Conference, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 2 March, 2017.
- Farm Land Concentration and Rural Labor Productivity: Evidence from Tanzania. Work in progress –not for citation. Jordan Chamberlin and T.S. Jayne. Presented at AFRE Graduate Student Organization Brown Bag Series, February 21, 2017.
- Thomas Jayne cited in the Economist article, "High-tech, low impact: Ethiopia’s state-of-the-art commodity exchange", Finance and Economics Section, February 4, 2017 issue.
- The Farm Size-Productivity Relationship in Tanzania: Preliminary Findings. Ayala Wineman and Thomas S. Jayne. Presented at the Farm Size/Farm Productivity Conference, organized by Economic Research Service, USDA, Washington, DC, February 1-2, 2017.
- T.S. Jayne, Chance Kabaghe, and Isaac Minde. 2017. Why the US has a lot to gain from investing in Africa’s agri-food systems. The Conversation, February 1, 2017.
- Enhancing U.S. Efforts to Develop Sustainable Agri-Food Systems in Africa. Prof. Thomas Jayne, Hon. Chance Kabaghe, and Prof. Isaac Minde, Farm Journal Foundation Policy Brief, Washington, DC. 2017.
- Enhancing United States Efforts to Develop Sustainable Agri-Food Systems in Africa. T.S. Jayne, Chance Kabaghe, and Isaac Minde. Presentation at US House Agricultural Committee, Longworth Office Building, Washington, DC February 1, 2017.
- Maize, fertilizer and sustainable agricultural intensification. Thomas Jayne. Sustainable Agricultural Intensification Workshop Hosted by Global Change and Earth Observation. Kellogg Center. Michigan State University East Lansing, Michigan. December 14-15, 2016.
- John Staatz, Frank Hollinger. West African Food Systems and Changing Consumer Demands. West African Papers, No.: 4. 15 Dec 2016.
- Rural-Urban Migration Around Yangon City, Myanmar. Kyan Htoo and A Myint Zu. Research Highlights #5. December 2016.
- Agricultural Input Subsidy Programs in Africa: A Review of Recent Evidence. T.S. Jayne and Nicole Mason. Agricultural Input Distribution and Subsidy Program Conference. Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa. Nairobi, Kenya.1 December 2016.
- T.S. Jayne, Jordan Chamberlin, Lulama Traub, Nicholas Sitko, Milu Muyanga, Felix K. Yeboah, Ward Anseeuw, Antony Chapoto, Ayala Wineman, Chewe Nkonde and Richard Kachule. Africa's changing farm size distribution patterns: the rise of medium-scale farms. Agricultural Economics Volume 47, Issue S1, pages 197–214, November 2016.
- Rise of Medium-Scale Farms in Africa. T.S. Jayne, Jordan Chamberlin, Milu Muyanga, Nicholas Sitko, Felix K. Yeboah, LulamaTraub, Chewe Nkonde, Ward Anseeuw, Ayala Wineman. 3rdAnnual Stakeholders Conference, ReNAPRI, Nairobi, Kenya, 10 November 2016.
- Rise of Medium-Scale Farms in Africa. T.S. Jayne, Jordan Chamberlin, Milu Muyanga, Nicholas Sitko, Felix K. Yeboah, LulamaTraub, Chewe Nkonde, Ward Anseeuw, Ayala Wineman.
Seminar at Dept. Agricultural Economics, University of Nairobi, 7 November 2016.
- Agri-Food Systems and Youth Livelihoods in Sub-Saharan Africa. Thom Jayne, John Holtzman, F. Kwame Yeboah, Jock Anderson and James Oehmke. Seminar at USAID/BFS. Washington, DC. November 3, 2016.
- Africa's evolving employment structure: Trends and drivers of change. F. Kwame Yeboah and Thomas S. Jayne. Eye on Africa Seminar Series, African Studies Center, MSU. East Lansing, MI. October 20, 2016.
- Africa's Evolving Employment Structure. F. Kwame Yeboah and T.S. Jayne. International Development Working Paper 148. October 2016.
- Understanding Fertilizer Effectiveness and Adoption on Maize in Zambia. William J. Burke, Emmanuel Frossard, Stephen Kabwe, and Thomas S. Jayne. International Development Working Paper 147. October 2016.
Questions, comments? Contact Us