- William Burke, Thomas Jayne, J. Roy Black. 2016. Factors explaining the low and variable profitability of fertilizer application to maize in Zambia. Agricultural Economics, 48, 1-12.
- Richards, P, T. Reardon, D. Tschirley, T. Jayne, J. Oehmke, and D. Atwood. 2016. Cities and the future of agriculture and food security: a policy and programmatic roundtable. Food Security, Conference Report, 8(3), 04 July 2016.
- Xingliang Ma, Melinda Smale, David J. Spielman, Patricia Zambrano, Hina Nazli and Fatima Zaidi. A Question of Integrity: Variants of Bt Cotton, Pesticides and Productivity in Pakistan. Journal of Agricultural Economics. 4 July 2016.
- Ward Anseeuw, Thomas Jayne, Richard Kachule and John Kotsopoulos. The Quiet Rise of Medium-Scale Farms in Malawi. Land, 2016, 5, 19; doi:10.3390/land5030019.
- Liverpool-Tasie, L.S.O (2016). Is fertilizer use inconsistent with expected profit maximization in sub-Saharan Africa? “The case of rice in Nigeria”. Journal of Agricultural Economics. doi: 10.1111/1477-9552.12162
- Sitko, N. J., & Chamberlin, J. (2016). The geography of Zambia’s customary land: Assessing the prospects for smallholder development. Land Use Policy, 55, 49-60.
- Population growth, land allocation and conflict in Mali. Mark Skidmore, John Staatz, Nango Dembélé, Aissatou Ouédraogo. Area Development and Policy, Volume 1, Issue 1 pp. 113-131 | DOI: 10.1080/23792949.2016.1157444.
- Mason, N.M., A. Wineman, L. Kirimi, and D. Mather (2016). The Effects of Kenya's ‘Smarter’ Input Subsidy Programme on Smallholder Behaviour and Incomes: Do Different Quasi-experimental Approaches Lead to the Same Conclusions? Journal of Agricultural Economics, published online 12 April 2016.
- Zhou, Y. and J. Staatz (2016). Projected demand and supply for various foods in West Africa: Implications for investments and food policy, Food Policy 61: 198–212
- Haggblade, Steven, Kwaku G. Duodu, John D. Kabasa, Amanda Minnaar, Nelson K. O. Ojijo, and John R. N. Taylor. Emerging Early Actions to Bend the Curve in Sub-Saharan Africa’s Nutrition Transition. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 1-23. 2016.
- Megan Sheahan, Joshua Ariga, T.S. Jayne. Modeling the Effects of Input Market Reforms on Fertilizer Demand and Maize Production: A Case Study from Kenya. Journal of Agricultural Economics. 29 Feb 2016.
- Foreign Affairs, special edition on African Farmers in the Digital Age: How Digital Solutions Can Enable Rural Development, February 2016.
- Jayne, T.S. D. Mather, N.M. Mason, J. Ricker-Gilbert and E.W. Crawford 2015. Rejoinder to the comment by Andrew Dorward and Ephraim Chirwa on Jayne, T. S., D. Mather, N. Mason, and J. Ricker-Gilbert. 2013. How do fertilizer subsidy program affect total fertilizer use in sub-Saharan Africa? Crowding out, diversion, and benefit/cost assessments. Agricultural Economics 46(6):745-755.
- Minde I, S. Terblanche, B. Bashaasha, I.C. Madakadze, J. Snyder, and A. Mugisha (2015). Challenges for agricultural education and training (AET) institutions in preparing growing student populations for productive careers in the agri-food system. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies 5(2):137 – 169.
- Kaneene, J.B., S. Haggblade, and D.L. Tschirley (2015). Special issue introduction: Sub-Saharan Africa’s agri-food system in transition. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies 5(2):94 – 101
- Haggblade, S., A. Chapoto, A. Drame-Yayé, S.L. Hendriks, S. Kabwe, I. Minde, J. Mugisha, and S. Terblanche (2015). Motivating and preparing African youth for successful careers in agribusiness: Insights from agricultural role models. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies 5(2):170 – 189.
- Kabasa, J.D., J. Kirsten, and I. Minde (2015). Implications of changing agri-food system structure for agricultural education and training in Sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies 5(2):190 – 199.
- Tschirley, David, Thomas Reardon, Michael Dolislager e Jason Snyder. O Surgimento da Classe Média na África Oriental E Austral: Implicações Para a Transformação do Sistema Alimentar. Publicado em Journal of International Development, Vol. 27, #5 (2015).
- A ser publicado em Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, Setembro de 2015. A Transformação Emergente da Dieta Alimentar Africana: Implicações para o Emprego no Sistema Agro-Alimentar. Tschirley, D., J. Snyder, M. Dolislager, T. Reardon, S. Haggblade, J. Goeb, L. Traub, F. Ejobi, F. Meyer.
- Creating Scarcity from Abundance: Bumper Harvests, High Prices, and the Role of State Interventions in Zambian Maize Markets. Kuteya AK and NJ Sitko. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development. Volume 15 No. 4, September 2015.
- Hernandez, R.A., J.A. Berdegué, and T. Reardon. 2015. Modernizing Wholesalers and Guava Farmers in Mexico, Agricultural Economics 46.
- Hambulo Ngoma, Nicole M. Mason, Nicholas J. Sitko. Does minimum tillage with planting basins or ripping raise maize yields? Meso-panel data evidence from Zambia. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 212 (2015) 21–29.
- Nicholas Sitko and Jordan Chamberlin. The Anatomy of Medium-Scale Farm Growth in Zambia: What Are the Implications for the Future of Smallholder Agriculture? Land 2015, 4(3), 869-887.
- N.M. Mason, T.S. Jayne, and B. Shiferaw. Africa’s rising demand for wheat: Trends, drivers, and policy implications. Development Policy Review, 2015, 33 (5): 581-613.
- Burke, William, Robert Myers, and T.S. Jayne. 2015. A triple-hurdle model of production and market participation in Kenya’s dairy market. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 97(4): 1227–1246.
- T. Reardon. 2015. “The hidden middle: the quiet revolution in the midstream of agrifood value chains in developing countries,” Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 31(1): 45-63, doi:10.1093/oxrep/grv011
- Liverpool-Tasie, L.S.O, Adjognon, S and Kuku-Shittu, Y (2015).Productivity effects of sustainable intensification: The case of Urea deep placement for rice production in Niger State, Nigeria. African Journal of Agriculture and Resource Economics: 10:1.
- Liverpool-Tasie, LS.O, B. T.Omonona, A. Sanou and W. Ogunleye (2015). Is Increasing Inorganic Fertilizer Use in Sub-Saharan Africa a Profitable Proposition? Evidence from Nigeria. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No 7021.
- Takeshima, H and Liverpool-Tasie, L.S.O. (2015). Fertilizer subsidy, political influence and local food prices in sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Nigeria. Food Policy.
- T.S. Jayne. 2015. Land Dynamics and Future Trajectories of Structural Transformation in Africa. Simon Brand Keynote Address, Agrekon, 53(3), 1-15.
- Liverpool-Tasie L.S.O., B. T. Omonona, A. Sanou and W. Ogunleye. 2015. Is Increasing Inorganic Fertilizer Use in Sub-Saharan Africa a Profitable Proposition? Evidence from Nigeria. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No. 7021.
- Liverpool-Tasie, L.S.O., S. Adjognon, and Y. Kuku-Shittu. 2015. Productivity effects of sustainable intensification: The case of urea deep placement for rice production in Niger State, Nigeria. African Journal of Agriculture and Resource Economics: 10:1
- Mathenge, M.K., M. Smale and D. Tschirley. 2015. Off-farm Employment and Input Intensification among Smallholder Maize Farmers in Kenya. Journal of Agricultural Economics 66(2):519–536.
- Tschirley, D., J. Snyder, M. Dolislager, T. Reardon, S. Haggblade, J. Goeb, L. Traub, F. Ejobi, F. Meyer. Africa’s Unfolding Diet Transformation: Implications for Agrifood System Employment. Journal Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies. September, 2015.
- Tschirley, David, Thomas Reardon, Michael Dolislager, and Jason Snyder. The Rise of a Middle Class in East and Southern Africa: Implications for Food System Transformation. Journal of International Development. May, 2015.
- W.J. Burke, R.J. Myers, T.S. Jayne, A Triple-Hurdle Model of Production and Market Participation in Kenya's Dairy Market. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2015.
- Steven Haggblade, John Staatz, Duncan Boughton, Boubacar Diallo, Ferdinand Meyer, Isaac Joseph Minde, Lulama Ndibongo Traub & David Tschirley. Regional dimensions of South Africa’s CAADP process: lessons from West Africa. African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Volume10, No. 1 (March 2015): 32-50.
- Olwande, J., M. Smale, M.K. Mathenge, F. Place, D. Mithöfer, 2015. Agricultural marketing by smallholders in Kenya: A comparison of maize, kale and dairy. Food Policy 52: 22-32.
- Smale, Melinda, Eliab Simpungwe, Ekin Birol, Girma Tesfahun Kassie, Hugo de Groote, Raphael Mutale. The Changing Structure of the Maize Seed Industry in Zambia: Prospects for Orange Maize. Agribusiness, Vol. 31 (1) 132–146 (2015).
- Adjao, Ramziath T. and John M. Staatz. Asian rice economy changes and implications for sub-Saharan Africa. Global Food Security.
- Theriault, V. Rev. of New Directions for Smallholder Agriculture, eds. Peter Hazell and Atiqur Rahman. Journal of Economic Issues, December 2014: 1163-1165. Print.
- Jayne, T.S., Ferdinand Meyer, and Lulama Ndibongo Traub. Africa’s Evolving Food Systems: Drivers of change and the scope for influencing them. Working Paper October 2014. International Institute for Environment and Development.
- Tschirley, D., T. Reardon, M. Dolislager, and J. Snyder. 2014. The rise of a middle class in East and Southern Africa: Implications for food system transformation. Helsinki: WIDER (World Institute for Development Economics Research, www.wider.unu.org ) Working Paper 2014/119.
- Smale, Melinda , John Olwande. Demand for maize hybrids and hybrid change on smallholder farms in Kenya. Agricultural Economics 45 (2014) 409–420.
- Haggblade, Steven, Duncan Boughton, Khin Mar Cho, Glenn Denning, Renate Kloeppinger-Todd, Zaw 00, Tun Min Sandar, Tin Maung Than, Naw Eh Mwee Aye Wai， Shannon Wilson, Ngu Wah Win, and Larry C. Y. Wong. 2014. Strategic Choices Shaping Agricultural Performance and Food Security in Myanmar. Journal of International Affairs. Spring/Summer 2014, Vol. 67, No. 2.
- Sitko, Nicholas J., Jordan Chamberlin, Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Does Smallholder Land Titling Facilitate Agricultural Growth?: An Analysis of the Determinants and Effects of Smallholder Land Titling in Zambia. World Development Volume 64, December 2014, Pages 791–802.
- Mabiso, A., Cunguara, B., Benfica, R., 2014. Food (In)security and its Drivers: Insights from Trends and Opportunities in Rural Mozambique. Food Security. 6(5):649-670. August 2014.
- Theriault, Veronique and Tschirley, David L. How Institutions Mediate the Impact of Cash Cropping on Food Crop Intensification: An Application to Cotton in Sub-Saharan Africa. World Development, Volume 64, December 2014, pages 298-310.
- Andrew Muganga Kizito and John Staatz. “A partial equilibrium approach to estimating the potential payoffs of providing improved agricultural market information in the form of price forecasts.” Cahiers agricultures, vol. 23, no. 4-5, juillet-octobre 2014.
- John Staatz, Andrew Kizito, Michael Weber, and Niama Nango Dembele. “Challenges in measuring the impact of Market Information Systems.” Cahiers agricultures, vol. 23, no. 4-5, juillet-octobre 2014.
- Food Policy, Volume 48, Pages 1-202. October 2014.
- Boserup and Beyond: Mounting Land Pressures and Development Strategies in Africa. Edited by T.S. Jayne, Derek Headey and Jordan Chamberlin
- T.S. Jayne, Jordan Chamberlin, Derek D. Headey. Land pressures, the evolution of farming systems, and development strategies in Africa: A synthesis. Pages 1-17.
- Derek D. Headey, T.S. Jayne. Adaptation to land constraints: Is Africa different? Pages 18-33.
- George Christoffel Schoneveld. The geographic and sectoral patterns of large-scale farmland investments in sub-Saharan Africa. Pages 34-50.
- Jordan Chamberlin, T.S. Jayne, D. Headey. Scarcity amidst abundance? Reassessing the potential for cropland expansion in Africa. Pages 51-65.
- John W. Mellor. High rural population density Africa – What are the growth requirements and who participates? Pages 66-75.
- Klaus Deininger, Thea Hilhorst, Vera Songwe. Identifying and addressing land governance constraints to support intensification and land market operation: Evidence from 10 African countries. Pages 76-87.
- Stein T. Holden, Keijiro Otsuka. The roles of land tenure reforms and land markets in the context of population growth and land use intensification in Africa. Pages 88-97.
- Milu Muyanga, T.S. Jayne. Effects of rising rural population density on smallholder agriculture in Kenya. Pages 98-113.
- Jacob Ricker-Gilbert, Charles Jumbe, Jordan Chamberlin. How does population density influence agricultural intensification and productivity? Evidence from Malawi. Pages 114-128.
- Derek Headey, Mekdim Dereje, Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse. Land constraints and agricultural intensification in Ethiopia: A village-level analysis of high-potential areas. Pages 129-141.
- Anna Leigh Josephson, Jacob Ricker-Gilbert, Raymond J.G.M. Florax. How does population density influence agricultural intensification and productivity? Evidence from Ethiopia. Pages 142-152.
- Alejandro Nin-Pratt, Linden McBride. Agricultural intensification in Ghana: Evaluating the optimist’s case for a Green Revolution. Pages 153-167.
- Xinshen Diao, Frances Cossar, Nazaire Houssou, Shashidhara Kolavalli. Mechanization in Ghana: Emerging demand, and the search for alternative supply models. Pages 168-181.
- Yanyan Liu, Futoshi Yamauchi. Population density, migration, and the returns to human capital and land: Insights from Indonesia. Pages 182-193.
- Nicholas J. Sitko, T.S. Jayne. Structural transformation or elite land capture? The growth of “emergent” farmers in Zambia. Pages 194-202.
- A partial equilibrium approach to estimating the potential payoffs of providing improved agricultural market information in the form of price forecasts. Andrew Muganga Kizito and John Staatz. Journal Cahiers Agricultures, Volume 23, issue 4-5, July-August-September-October 2014.
- Hybrid Seed and the Economic Well-Being of
Smallholder Maize Farmers in Zambia. Melinda Smale and Nicole Mason. The Journal of Development Studies, 2014 Vol. 50, No. 5, 680–695.
- Jayne, T.S., Milu Muyanga, Jordan Chamberlin, and Chance Kabaghe. 2014. Land Scarcity and African Agriculture: Implications for Food Security and Poverty Reduction Strategies. In The State of the African Farmer, Heifer International. Pages 34-41.
- Jayne, T.S, A. Chapoto, N. Sitko, C. Nkonde, M. Muyanga, J. Chamberlin. 2014. Is the Scramble for Land in Africa Foreclosing a Smallholder Agricultural Expansion Strategy? Journal of International Affairs, 67 (2), 35-53.
- Reardon, T. and C.P. Timmer. 2014. Five Inter-Linked Transformations in the Asian Agrifood Economy: Food Security Implications, Global Food Security 3(2). 15 May 2014.
- Reardon, T., KZ Chen, B. Minten, L. Adriano, TA Dao, J. Wang, S. Das Gupta. 2014. The Quiet Revolution in Asia’s Rice Value Chains. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, April 2014.
- Melinda Smale, Ekin birol and Dorene Asare-Marfo. 2014. Smallholder Demand for Maize hybrids in Zambia: How Far do Seed Subsidies Reach? Journal of Agricultural Economics 65(2): 349-367.
- Smale, M., E. Simpungwe, E. Birol, H. De Groote, and R. Mutale. 2014. The changing structure of the maize seed industry in Zambia: Prospects for orange maize. Agribusiness. 10 April 2014.
- Liverpool-Tasie, L.S.O. 2014. Fertilizer subsidies and private market participation: the case of Kano State, Nigeria. Agricultural Economics.
- Mason, N.M., T.S. Jayne and R.J. Myers. 2014. Smallholder Supply Response to Marketing Board Activities in a Dual Channel Marketing System: The Case of Zambia. Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- Muyanga, Milu and T.S. Jayne. 2014. Effects of rising rural population density on smallholder agriculture in Kenya. Food Policy, 47.
- Theriault, V. and Serra, R. (2014). Institutional Environment and Technical Efficiency: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis of Cotton Producers in West Africa. Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- Reardon, T., K.Z. Chen, B. Minten, L. Adriano, T.A. Dao, J. Wang, and S. Das Gupta. 2014. The quiet revolution in Asia’s rice value chains, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, April. DOI: 10.1111/nyas.12391
- Burke, William and T.S. Jayne. 2014. Smallholder land ownership in Kenya: distribution between households and through time. Agricultural Economics, 45: 185-198. March 2014.
- Sitko, Nicholas J., T.S. Jayne. Exploitative Briefcase Businessmen, Parasites, and Other Myths and Legends: Assembly Traders and the Performance of Maize Markets in Eastern and Southern Africa. World Development. Volume 54, February 2014, Pages 56–67.
- Mathenge, Mary K., Melinda Smale, John Olwande. The impacts of hybrid maize seed on the welfare of farming households in Kenya. Food Policy. Volume 44, February 2014, Pages 262–271.
- Benfica, Rui. Welfare and distributional impacts of price shocks in Malawi: a non-parametric approach. Food Security. January 2014.
- Murekezi, Abdoul, Songqing Jin and Scott Loveridge. 2014. “Have coffee producers benefited from the new domestic cherry market? Evidence Using Panel Data from Rwanda,” Agricultural Economics 45. 1–12.
- Liverpool-Tasie, L.S.O. 2014. Do vouchers improve government fertilizer distribution? Evidence from Nigeria. Agricultural Economics.
- Maredia, M., B. Shankar, T. Kelley, and J. Stevenson. 2014. Impact Assessment of Agricultural Research, Institutional Innovation, and Technology Adoption: Introduction to the Special Section. Food Policy. pp_journal
- Sitko, N. and T.S. Jayne (2014). Exploitative Briefcase Businessmen, Parasites, and Other Myths and Legends: Assembly Traders and the Performance of Maize Markets in Eastern and Southern Africa. World Development. February 2014. Volume 54, 56-67.
- Chabala, Lydia Mumbi, Elias Kuntashula, Peter Kaluba. 2013. Characterization of Temporal Changes in Rainfall, Temperature, Flooding Hazard and Dry Spells over Zambia. Universal Journal of Agricultural Research 1(4): 134-144, 2013.
- Reardon, Thomas. Success Strategies for Poverty-Alleviating Rural Development for Myanmar: Lessons from Asian Experience. Vietnam Journal of Science for Rural Development. No. 9. December 2013.
- November 2013 issue of Agricultural Economics. Special Issue: Input Subsidy Programs (ISPs) in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). Volume 44, Issue 6, Pages 545–734. Guest editors Thomas Jayne and Shahidur Rashid.
- Smale, M., E. Birol, and D. Asare-Marfo. 2013. Demand for maize hybrids in Zambia: How far do subsidies reach? Journal of Agricultural Economics (in press)
- Mathenge, M., M. Smale, and J. Olwande. 2013. The Impact of Hybrid Maize Seed on the Welfare of Farming Households in Kenya. Food Policy (in press).
- Smale, M. and J. Olwande. 2013. Demand for Maize Hybrids and Hybrid Change on Smallholder Farms in Kenya. Agricultural Economics.
- Shiferaw, B., M. Smale, H-J Braun, E. Duveiller, and M. Reynolds. 2013. Crops that Feed the World 10. Past Successes and Future Challenges to the Role Played by Wheat in Global Food Security. Food Security, Volume 5, Issue 3, pp 291-317.
- Mason, N.M. and R. Myers. 2013. “The effects of the Food Reserve Agency on maize market prices in Zambia.” Agricultural Economics 44 (2): 203-2016.
- Mason, N.M., and T.S. Jayne. 2013. “Fertilizer subsidies and smallholder commercial fertilizer purchases: Crowding out, leakage, and policy implications for Zambia.” Journal of Agricultural Economics 64 (3): 558-582.
- Yang, Jin, Zuhui Huang, Xiaobo Zhang, and Thomas Reardon. 2013. The Rapid Rise of Cross-Regional Agricultural Mechanization Services in China. Am. J. Agr. Econ. (2013) 95 (5): 1245-1251.
- Wang, H., F. Yu, T. Reardon, J. Huang and S. Rozelle. 2013. “Social learning and parameter uncertainty in irreversible investments: Evidence from greenhouse adoption in northern China,” China Economic Review (27), December: 104-120.
- Jayne, T.S. and R. Shahidur. 2013, editors. Special issue on Input Subsidy Programs in sub-Saharan Africa in Agricultural Economics.
- Mason, N.M., T.S. Jayne and R. Mofya-Mukuka. 2013. “Zambia’s input subsidy programs,” Agricultural Economics.
- Mason, N.M, and M. Smale. 2013. “Impacts of subsidized hybrid seed on indicators of economic well-being among smallholder maize growers in Zambia.” Agricultural Economics.
- Jayne, T.S., D. Mather, N.M. Mason, and J. Ricker-Gilbert. 2013. “How do fertilizer subsidy programs affect total fertilizer use in sub-Saharan Africa? Crowding out, diversion, and benefit/cost assessments.” Agricultural Economics.
- Jayne, T.S. and R. Shahidur. 2013. “Input subsidy programs in sub-Saharan Africa: a synthesis of recent evidence.” Agricultural Economics.
- Ricker-Gilbert, J., N.M. Mason, F.A. Darko, and S.T. Tembo. 2013. “What are the effects of input subsidy programs on maize prices? Evidence from Malawi and Zambia.” Agricultural Economics.
- Liverpool-Tasie, L.S. and H. Takeshima. 2013. “Input promotion within a complex subsector: fertilizer in Nigeria.” Agricultural Economics.
- Mofya-Mukuka, Rhoda and Awudu Abdulai. (2013). Policy reforms and asymmetric price transmission in the Zambian and Tanzanian coffee markets. Economic Modelling. Volume 35, September 2013, Pages 786–795.
- Burke, William J. and T. S. Jayne. Smallholder land ownership in Kenya: distribution between households and through time. Agricultural Economics (11 June 2013) 1–14.
- Mason, N.M., and J. Ricker-Gilbert. 2013. “Disrupting demand for commercial seed: Input subsidies in Malawi and Zambia.” World Development 45 (May): 75-91.
- Sheahan, Megan, Roy Black, and Thom Jayne. Are Kenyan farmers under-utilizing fertilizer? Implications for input intensification strategies and research. Food Policy, 41 (2013): 39-52.
- Sitko, N. J. (2013). ‘My hunger has brought business’:‘efficiency’ and the de-moralizing logic of maize distribution in an era of market liberalization. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 40(2), 413-430.
- Haggblade, Steven. Unscrambling Africa: Regional Requirements for Achieving Food Security. Development Policy Review, 2013, 31 (2): 149-176.
- Cunguara, Benedito, Gorka Fagilde, James Garrett, Rafael Uaiene and Derek Headey. Growth without Change? A Case Study of Economic Transformation in Mozambique. Journal of African Development. Volume 14, #2. Fall 2012.
- Sitko, N. J. (2012). Hunger for Money: Maize, Food-Insecurity, and Identity Formation Within Polygynous Households in Rural Southern Zambia. Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 15(3), 415-435.
- Jin, S. and T.S. Jayne 2013. Land Rental Markets in Kenya: Implications for Efficiency, Equity, Household Income, and Poverty. Land Economics, 89 (2): 246–271.
- Ricker-Gilbert, J., T.S. Jayne, and G. Shively. 2013. Addressing the Wicked Problem of Input Subsidy Programs in Africa, Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 35(2).
- Theriault, V. R.Serra and J.A. Sterns (2013). “Prices, institutions, and determinants of supply in the Malian cotton sector.” Agricultural Economics. Published online 1/8/2013.
- Jayne, T.S. 2012. Managing food price instability in East and Southern Africa, Global Food Security, November.
- Theriault V. and J. A. Sterns. 2012. The Evolution of Institutions in the Malian Cotton Sector: An Application of John R. Commons's Ideas. Journal of Economic Issues, 46(4):941-965.
- Haggblade, Steven, Agnes Andersson Djurfeldt, Drinah Banda Nyirenda, Johanna Bergman Lodin, Leon Brimer, Martin Chiona, Maureen Chitundu, Linley Chiwona-Karltun, Constantino Cuambe, Michael Dolislager, Cynthia Donovan, Klaus Droppelmann, Magnus Jirström, Emma Kambewa, Patrick Kambewa, Nzola Meso Mahungu, Jonathan Mkumbira, João Mudema, Hunter Nielson, Mishek Nyembe, Venâncio Alexandre Salegua, Alda Tomo, Michael Weber, (2012) "Cassava commercialization in Southeastern Africa", Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, Vol. 2 Iss: 1, pp.4 - 40
- Myers, R.J. and T.S. Jayne. 2012. Multiple-regime spatial price transmission with an application to maize markets in Southern Africa. Amer. J. Agr. Econ. 94(1): 174–188.
- Jordan Chamberlin and T.S. Jayne. 2012. Unpacking the Meaning of Market Access. World Development
- Smale, Melinda, Patricia Zambrano, Rodrigo Paz-Ybarnegaray, Willy Fernández-Montaño. (2012) A Case of Resistance: Herbicide-tolerant Soybeans in Bolivia. AgBioForum, 15(2): 191-205.
- Birol, Ekin, Melinda Smale, Jose M. Yorobe, Jr. (2012) Bi-Modal Preferences for Bt Maize in the Philippines: A Latent Class Model. AgBioForum, 15(2): 175-190.
- Yorobe, Jose M. Jr., Melinda Smale. (2012) Impacts of Bt Maize on Smallholder Income in the Philippines. AgBioForum, 15(2): 152-162.
- Zambrano, Patricia, Melinda Smale, Jorge H. Maldonado, and Sandra L. Mendoza. (2012) Unweaving the Threads: The Experiences of Female Farmers with Biotech Cotton in Colombia. AgBioForum, 15(2): 125-137.
- Smale, Melinda. (2012) Rough Terrain for Research: Studying Early Adopters of Biotech Crops. AgBioForum, 15(2): 114-124.
- Jayne, T.S. and Milu Muyanga. Land constraints in Kenya’s densely populated rural areas: implications for food policy and institutional reform. Food Security, Volume 4 (2012).
- Murekezi, Abdoul, Songqing Jin and Scott Loveridge. 2011. Do Organisational Forms of the Coffee Supply Chain Matter in Poverty Reduction? Development in Practice. 22(7): 962-977.
- Benson, Todd, B. Cunguara, and Tewodaj Mogues. 2012. The supply of inorganic fertilizers to smallholder farmers in Mozambique: Evidence for fertilizer policy development. A research report produced by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) with the support of the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA).
- Cunguara, B., J. Hanlon. 2012. Whose wealth is it anyway? Mozambique’s outstanding economic growth with worsening rural poverty. Development and Change. 2012, 43(3).
- Cunguara, B. 2012. An exposition of development failures in Mozambique. Review of African Political Economy. 39(131):161-70.
- Abbink, K., T.S. Jayne, and L. Moller. 2011. The Relevance of a Rules-Based Maize Marketing Policy: An Experimental Case Study of Zambia. Journal of Development Studies, 47(2): 207-230
- Chapoto, Antony, Thomas Jayne, and Nicole Mason. 2011. Widows’ Land Security in the Era of HIV/AIDS: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia, Economic Development and Cultural Change, 59(3): 511-547.
- Cunguara, B., and I. Darnhofer. 2011. Assessing the impact of improved agricultural technologies on household income in rural Mozambique. Food Policy, 36(3): 378-390.
- Cunguara, B., G. Fagilde, J. Garrett, R. Uaiene, and Derek Heady. 2011. Growth without change: The elusiveness of agricultural and economic transformation in Mozambique. A study commissioned by IFPRI as part of the CAADP initiative in Mozambique.
- Cunguara, B., G. Fagilde, J. Garrett, R. Uaiene, and Derek Heady. 2011. Crescimento sem mudança: A elusividade da transformação agrária e económica em Moçambique. A study commissioned by IFPRI as part of the CAADP initiative in Mozambique.
- Cunguara, B., and J. Garrett. 2011. Análise situacional, constrangimentos e oportunidades para o crescimento agrário em Moçambique. MozSAKSS Working Paper. A study commissioned by IFPRI as part of the CAADP initiative in Mozambique.
- Cunguara, B., A. Langyintuo, and I. Darnhofer. 2011. The role of nonfarm income in coping with the effects of drought in southern Mozambique. Agricultural Economics, 42(6): 701-713.
- Cunguara, B., and K. Moder. 2011. Is agricultural extension helping the poor? Evidence from rural Mozambique. Journal of African Economies, 20(4): 562-595
- Kadiyala, Suneetha and Antony Chapoto. "The AIDS Epidemic, Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods: Review of Evidence in Africa." In David E. Sahn (editor), The Socioeconomic Dimensions of HIV/AIDS in Africa: Challenges, Opportunities and Misconception. New York: Cornell University, 2011.
- Kajisa, K. and E. Payongayong. 2011. Potential of and constraints to the rice Green Revolution in Mozambique: a case study of Chokwe irrigation scheme, Food Policy, 36(5): 614-625.
- Mason, N, T. S. Jayne, A. Chapoto, and C. Donovan. Putting the 2007/08 global food crisis in longer-term perspective: Trends in staple food affordability in urban Zambia and Kenya. Food Policy 36 (3): 350–367. June 2011.
- Mghenyi, E., R. Myers, and T. Jayne. 2011. The effects of a large discrete maize price increase on the distribution of household welfare and poverty in rural Kenya. Agricultural Economics, 42(3): 343-356.
- Ricker-Gilbert, J., T.S. Jayne, and E. Chirwa. 2011. Subsidies and Crowding Out: A Double-Hurdle Model of Fertilizer Demand in Malawi. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 93 (1, February): 26-42.
- Chapoto, A., T.S. Jayne, Nicole M. Mason. Forthcoming. Widows’ Land Security in the Era of HIV/AIDS: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia. Economic Development and Cultural Change. Final version accepted: July 2009.
- Dorosh, P., Dradri, S., and Haggblade, S. 2009. "Regional trade, government policy and food security: Recent evidence from Zambia." Food Policy 34: 350-366.
- Govereh, J., A. Chapoto, and T.S. Jayne. 2010. Assessment of alternative maize trade and market policy interventions in Zambia. In A. Sarris and J. Morrison (eds), Food Security in Africa: Markets and Trade Policy for Staple Foods in Eastern and Southern Africa, Cheltenham, UK, Edward Elgar Publishers.
- Haggblade, S., Peter Hazell, Thomas Reardon. “The Rural Nonfarm Economy: Prospects for Growth and Poverty Reduction” 2010. World Development 38(10) 1429–1441
- Haggblade, S., D.B. Nyirenda, L. Chiwona-Karltun, M. Chitundu, L. Brimer. “Chemical safety of cassava products in regional cassava production and processing: experience from Southern Africa.” 2010. Food and Chemical Toxicology (in press).
- Jayne, T.S., A. Chapoto, and J. Govereh. 2010. Grain marketing policy at the crossroads: Challenges for Eastern and Southern Africa. In A. Sarris and J. Morrison (eds), Food Security in Africa: Markets and Trade Policy for Staple Foods in Eastern and Southern Africa, Cheltenham, UK, Edward Elgar Publishers.
- Jayne, T.S., D. Mather, and E. Mghenyi. 2010. "Principal Challenges Confronting Smallholder Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa". World Development, 38(10): 1384-1398
- Jayne, T.S. and D. Tschirley. 2010. Food price spikes and strategic interactions between the public and private sectors: Market failures or governance failures? In FAO Commodity Market Review, 2009/10, Trade and Markets Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- Mason, N. M., T. S. Jayne, A. Chapoto, and R. Myers. 2010. “A Test of the New Variant Famine Hypothesis: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia“ World Development, 38(3): 356-368.
- Smale, M. and T.S. Jayne. 2010. Breeding an “Amazing” Crop: Improved maize in Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Chapter 4 in in Spielman, D., and R. Pandya-Lorch (eds) Millions Fed: Proven Successes in Agricultural Development. International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC.
- Tembo, G., A. Chapoto, T.S. Jayne, M. Weber. 2010. Fostering Food Market Development in Zambia. Zambia Social Science Journal, Volume 1(1): 39-60.
- Tschirley, David L., Hichaambwa, Munguzwe, Mwiinga, Mukwiti. 2010. Comparative assessment of the marketing structure and price behavior of three staple vegetables in Lusaka, Zambia. In Weibel and Mithoefer, Eds, "Understanding the Silent Revolution: New Socio-Economic Research on Horticultural Production and Marketing in Africa". CABI.
- Tschirley, David L., T.S. Jayne. 2010. Exploring the Logic Behind Southern Africa’s Food Crises. World Development Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 76–87.
- Tschirley, David L., Colin Poulton, Nicholas Gergely, Patrick Labaste, John Baffes, Duncan Boughton and Gérald Estur (2010). Institutional Diversity and Performance in African Cotton Sectors. Development Policy Review, 2010, 28 (3): 295-323.
- Tschirley, David, and T.S. Jayne. 2010. Exploring the Logic Behind Southern Africa’s Food Crises. World Development Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 76–87.
- Chapoto, A., T.S. Jayne, Nicole M. Mason. Forthcoming. Widows' Land Security in the Era of HIV/AIDS: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia. Economic Development and Cultural Change.
Final version accepted: July 2009.
- Chitundu, Maureen, Droppelmann, Klaus, Haggblade, Steven J. 2009. Intervening in Value Chains: Lessons from Zambia’s Task Force on Acceleration of Cassava Utilisation. Journal of Development Studies 45 (4): 593-620.
- Dorosh, P., Dradri, S., Steven Haggblade. 2009. "Regional trade, government policy and food security: Recent evidence from Zambia". Food Policy 34 (2009): 350–366.
- Nagai, T., Staatz, J., Bernsten, R., Sakyi-Dawson, E., Annor, G. December, 2009. Locally Processed Roasted-maize-based Weaning Foods Fortified with Legumes: Factors Affecting Their Availability and Competitiveness in Accra, Ghana. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development.
- Tschirley, David, Miltone Ayieko, Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Joey Goeb, and Wayne Loescher. 2009. "Modernizing Africa's Fresh Produce Supply Chains without Rapid Supermarket Takeover: Towards a Definition of Research and Investment Priorities". Proceedings of the conference "Towards priority actions for market development for African farmers", International Livestock Research Institute and AGRA, Nairobi. May 15-17, 2009
- Tschirley, David, Colin Poulton and Patrick Labaste, eds. 2009. "Organization and Performance of Cotton Sectors in Africa: Learning from Reform Experience". Agriculture and Rural Development Research Report. World Bank. Washington, D.C.
- Xu, Z., Guan, Z., Jayne, T.S. and Black , R. 2009. "Factors influencing the profitability of fertilizer use on maize in Zambia". Agricultural Economics Volume 40 (2009): 437 - 446.
- Xu, Z, Burke, W. J., Jayne, T.S., and J. Govereh. 2009. "Do Input Subsidy Programs 'Crowd in' or 'Crowd out' Commercial Market Development? Modeling Fertilizer Demand in a Two-Channel Marketing System." Agricultural Economics 40 (2009): 79-94.
- Chapoto, A. and T.S. Jayne. 2008. Impact of AIDS-Related Deaths on Farm Households’ Welfare in Zambia. Economic Development and Cultural Change, 56 (2): 327-374.www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/00220388.asp
- Dembele, Niama N., Moussa, Cissé, Roger, Blein. 2008. La transmission des prix internationaux sur les prix des céréales dans le Sahel. Grain de Sel, Revue d'Inter Réseaux Développement rural (43): 14-16. www.inter-reseaux.org
- Dorward, A., E. Chirwa, D. Boughton, E.
Crawford, T. Jayne, R. Slater, V. Kelly and
M. Tsoka. September 2008. Towards ‘smart’ subsidies in agriculture? Lessons from recent
experience in Malawi. Natural Resource Perspectives.
- Jayne, T., R. Myers, J. Nyoro. 2008. “The Effects of NCPB Marketing Policies on Maize Market Prices in Kenya,” Agricultural Economics, 38(3): 313-325.
- Muyanga, M. and T.S. Jayne. 2008. Private Agricultural Extension System in Kenya: Practice and Policy Lessons. Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 14(2): 111-124.
- Opiyo, P. A., Yamano, T., and Jayne, T. S. 2008. HIV/AIDS and Home-based Health Care. International Journal for Equity in Health 7:8(March). doi:10.1186/1475-9276-7-8. http://www.equityhealthj.com/content/7/1/8
- Traub, L. N., and T.S. Jayne. 2008. “The Effects of Price Deregulation on Maize Marketing Margins in South Africa.” Food Policy, 33(3): 224-236.
- Byron, Elizabeth, Chapoto, Anthony, Gillespie, Stuart, Hamazakaza, Petan, Jayne, Thomas S., Kadiyala, Suneetha. 2007. AIDS and Agriculture in Zambia. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 28 (2): 339-334.
- Boughton, Duncan, David Mather, Christopher B. Barrett, Rui Benfica, Danilo Abdula,
David Tschirley and Benedito Cunguara. Market Participation by Rural Households in a Low-Income Country: An Asset-Based Approach Applied to Mozambique. Faith and Economics Vol 50, Fall 2007: 64-101.
- Byron, E., A, Chapoto, M. Drinkwater, S. Gillespie, P. Hamazakaza, T. Jayne, S. Kadiyala, M. McEwan, and F. Samuels. 2007. AIDS and Agriculture in Zambia. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 28(2): S339-344.
- Donovan, Cynthia, and Jaquelino Massingue. 2007. Illness, death, and macronutrients: Adequacy of rural Mozambican household production of macronutrients in the face of HIV/AIDS. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, Vol 28, no. 2, supplement 4: S331-338.
- Low, Jan W.; Arimond, Mary; Osman, Nadia; Cunguara, Benedito; Zano, Filipe; Tschirley, David. 2007. "A food-based approach introducing orange-fleshed sweet potatoes increased Vitamin A intake and serum retinol concentrations in young children in rural Mozambique." Journal of Nutrition 137(5): 1320-1327.
- Haggblade, S., John Magistro et al. A Model for Pro-Poor Wealth Creation Through Small Plot Irrigation and
Market Linkages." 2007. Irrigation and Drainage 56:321-324. www.interscience.wiley.com
- Barratt, N., D. Chitundu, O. Dover, J. Elsinga, S. Eriksson, L. Guma, M. Haggblade, S. Haggblade, T.O. Henn, F.R. Locke, C. O'Donnell, C. Smith and T. Stevens. "Cassava as drought insurance: Food security implications of cassava trials in Central Zambia". Agrekon, Vol 45, No 1. March 2006.
- Byerlee, D., T. Jayne, and R. Myers, 2006. Guest editors of special issue of Food Policy on Managing Food Price Instability in the Era of Market Liberalization, Food Policy, Vol 31(4).
- Byerlee, D., T.S. Jayne, and R. Myers. 2006. Managing
food price risks and instability in a liberalizing market environment:
policy options, Food Policy, Vol. 31 (4): 275-287.
- Chapoto, Antony and T.S. Jayne. 2006. Socioeconomic Characteristics of
Individuals Afflicted by AIDS-Related Prime-Age Mortality in Zambia, in Gillespie,
S. (ed.), AIDS, Poverty, and Hunger: Challenges and Responses, Washington,
- Jayne, T.S., A. Chapoto, E. Byron, M. Ndiyoi, P. Hamazakaza, S. Kadiyala,
and S. Gillespie. 2006. Community-Level
Impacts of AIDS-Related Mortality. Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia, Review of Agricultural Economics,
Vol. 28 (3): 440-457.
- Jayne, T.S., B.
Zulu, and J.J. Nijhoff. 2006. Stabilizing
Food Markets in Eastern and Southern
Africa. Food Policy, Vol. 31 (4): 328-341.
- Andriantsoa, Pascal, Nancy Andriasendrarivony, Steven Haggblade, Bart
Minten, Mamy Rakotojaona, Frederick Rakotovoavy and Harivelle Sarindra
Razafinimanana. Media Proliferation and Democratic Transition in Africa:
The Case of Madagascar. World Development, vol 33 No 11, pp.
- Haggblade, Steve and John Magistro. A Model for Pro-Poor Wealth Creation
through Small-Plot Irrigation and Integrated Service Provision'. Irrigation
and Drainage (Issue no. 54.5).
- Jayne, T. S., Marcela Villarreal, Prabhu Pingali and Günter Hemrich. HIV/AIDS
and the Agricultural Sector: Implications for Policy in Eastern and
Southern Africa. Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development
Economics. Vol. 2, No. 2, 2005, pp. 158-181.
- Mather, D., C. Donovan, T.S. Jayne, and M. Weber. 2005. Using
Empirical Information in the Era of HIV/AIDS to Inform Mitigation
and Rural Development Strategies: Selected Results from African Country
Studies. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 87:5
- Yamano, T., T.S. Jayne, 2005. Working Age Adult Mortality and Primary
School Attendance in Rural Kenya. Economic Development and Cultural
Change, Vol. 53(3): 619-653.
- Jayne, T.S., T. Yamano, J. Nyoro, 2004. Interlinked Credit and Farm
Intensification Evidence from Kenya. Agricultural Economics,
- Poulton, C., P. Gibbon, B. Hanyani-Mlambo, J. Kydd, W. Maro, M. Nylandsted
Larsen, A. Osorio, D. Tschirley, B. Zulu, 2004. Competition and Coordination
in Liberalized African Cotton Market Systems. World Development,
Vol. 32:3 (519-536).
- Yamano, T., T.S. Jayne, 2004. Measuring the Impacts of Working Age
Adult Mortality on Rural Households in Kenya. World Development,
Vol. 32:1 (91-119).
- Yamano, T. and T.S. Jayne. 2004. "HIV/AIDS and Schooling: A case study from Kenya,” in K. Otsuka and T. Kurosaki (eds), "Education and Economic Development (Kyouiku To Keizai Hatten)," Tokyo Toyokeizai.
- Crawford, E., V. Kelly, T.S. Jayne, J. Howard (Eds),
2003. Input Use and Market Development in Sub-Saharan Africa. Special
issue of Food Policy, Vol. 28:4 (277-419). Issue contains
the following articles:
- Input use and market development in Sub-Saharan Africa: an overview.
Eric Crawford, Valerie Kelly, T. S. Jayne and Julie Howard.
- Fertilizer market development: a comparative analysis of Ethiopia,
Kenya, and Zambia. T.S. Jayne, J. Govereh, M. Wanzala and M. Demeke.
- Looking beyond national boundaries: regional harmonization of
seed policies, laws and regulations. D. D. Rohrbach, I. J. Minde
and J. Howard.
- Promoting high-input maize technologies in Africa: the Sasakawa-Global
2000 experience in Ethiopia and Mozambique. Julie Howard, Eric Crawford,
Valerie Kelly, Mulat Demeke and José Jaime Jeje.
- Realigning research and extension to focus on farmers' constraints
and opportunities. S. S. Snapp, M. J. Blackie and C. Donovan.
- Prospects for integrated soil fertility management using organic
and inorganic inputs: evidence from smallholder African agricultural
systems. Frank Place, Christopher B. Barrett, H. Ade Freeman, Joshua
J. Ramisch and Bernard Vanlauwe.
- Expanding access to agricultural inputs in Africa: a review of
recent market development experience. Valerie Kelly, Akinwumi A.
Adesina and Ann Gordon.
- Linking farmers to markets: different approaches to human capital
development. Jim Bingen, Alex Serrano and Julie Howard.
- Govereh, J., T. Jayne, 2003. Cash Cropping and Food Crop Productivity:
Synergies or Trade-offs? Agricultural Economics, Vol 28:1
- Jayne, T.S., J. Govereh, M. Wanzala, and M. Demeke. 2003. Fertilizer
Market Development: A Comparative Analysis of Ethiopia, Kenya, and
Zambia. Food Policy, Vol. 28(4): 293-316. Science
- Jayne, T.S. T. Yamano, M. Weber, D. Tschirley, R. Benfica, A. Chapoto,
and B. Zulu. 2003. Smallholder Income and Land Distribution in Africa:
Implications for Poverty Reduction Strategies. Food Policy,
Vol. 28(3): 253-275. Science
- Karanja, D. D., M. Renkow, E. W. Crawford, 2003. Welfare
effects of maize technologies in marginal and high potential regions
of Kenya. Agricultural Economics, Vol. 29 (331-341).
- Rose, D., D. Tschirley, 2003. Predicting dietary intakes with simple
food recall information: a case study from rural Mozambique. European
Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 57 (1212-1221).
- Argwings-Kodhek, I. Minde, and T. Jayne. 2002. “Synthesis,” in Jayne, T.S., Isaac Minde, and Gem Argwings-Kodhek (eds). Perspectives on Agricultural Transformation: A View from Africa. Nova Science, New York.
- Argwings-Kodhek, G., I. Minde, and T. Jayne. 2002. “Introduction,” in Jayne, T.S., Isaac Minde, and Gem Argwings-Kodhek (eds), 2002. Perspectives on Agricultural Transformation: A View from Africa. Nova Science, New York.
- Jayne, T.S., J.
Govereh, A. Mwanaumo, J. Nyoro, and A. Chapoto. 2002. False
Promise or False Premise:
The Experience of Food and Input Market Reform in Eastern and Southern
Africa. World Development, Vol 30 (11): 1967-1986. Summary.
- Jayne, T.S., J. Strauss, T. Yamano, 2002. Food Aid Distribution in
Ethiopia: Chronic Needs or Inertia? Journal of Development Economics,
Vol. 68:2 (247-288).
- Oehmke, J. F., E. W. Crawford, 2002. The Sensitivity of Returns to
Research Calculations to Supply Elasticity. American Journal of
Agricultural Economics, Vol. 84:2 (366-369).
- Gebremedhin, B. S. W. Swinton, 2001. Reconciling Food-For-Work Objectives:
Resource Conservation vs. Food Aid Targeting in Tigray, Ethiopia. Ethiopian
Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 4:1 (51-71).
- Jayne, T.S., J. Strauss, T. Yamano, D. Molla, 2001. Giving to the
Poor? Targeting of Food Aid in Rural Ethiopia. World Development,
Vol. 29:5 (887-910).
- Kelly, V., 2001. Business Training, Resource Management Buoy Mali's
Rural Economy. Cooperative Business Journal, Vol. 15:4 (10-11).
- Mariko, D., A. Chohin-Kuper, V. Kelly, 2001. Libéralisation
et dévaluation du franc CFA : la relance de la filière
riz irrigué à l'Office du Niger au Mali? Cahiers
Agricultures, Vol. 10 (173-184).
- Tschirley, D., R. Benfica, 2001. Smallholder Agriculture, Wage Labor
and Rural Poverty Alleviation in Land-Abundant Areas of Africa: Evidence
From Mozambique. The Journal of Modern African Studies, Vol.
- Colin, J., E. W. Crawford, 2000. Economic Perspectives in Agricultural
Systems Analysis. Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 22:1
- Maredia, M., D. Byerlee, P. Pee, 2000. Impacts of Food Crop Improvement
Research: Evidence From Sub-Saharan Africa. Food Policy, Vol.
- Clay, D. C., D. Molla, H. Debebe, 1999. Food Aid Targeting in Ethiopia:
A Study of Who Needs It and Who Gets It. Food Policy, Vol.
- Diagana, B., F. Akindès, K. Savadogo, T. Reardon, J. M. Staatz,
1999. Effects of the CFA Franc Devaluation on Urban Food Consumption
in West Africa: Overview and Cross-Country Comparisons. Food Policy,
Vol. 24:5 (465-478). (Special Feature Papers: The Effects of the Franc
CFA Devaluation on Urban Household Food Consumption in West Africa:
Case Studies and Policy Implications. Guest editor, T. Reardon.)
- Diagana, B., T. Reardon, 1999. Household Consumption Responses to
the Franc CFA Devaluation: Evidence from Urban Senegal. Food Policy,
Vol. 24:5 (495-516). (Special Feature Papers: The Effects of the Franc
CFA Devaluation on Urban Household Food Consumption in West Africa:
Case Studies and Policy Implications. Guest editor, T. Reardon.)
- Reardon, T., C. Barrett, V. A. Kelly, K. Savadogo, 1999. Policy Reforms
and Sustainable Agricultural Intensification in Africa. Development
Policy Review, Vol. 17:4 (375-396).
- Singare, K., T. Reardon, Y. Camara, M. Wanzala, B. Témé,
O. Sanogo. Household Consumption Responses to the Franc CFA Devaluation:
Evidence from Urban Mali. Food Policy, Vol. 5 (517-534). (Special
Feature Papers: The Effects of the Franc CFA Devaluation on Urban Household
Food Consumption in West Africa: Case Studies and Policy Implications.
Guest editor, T. Reardon.)
- Clay, D. C., T. Reardon J. Kangasniemi, 1998. Sustainable Intensification
in the Highland Tropics: Rwandan Farmers' Investments in Land Conservation
and Soil Fertility. Economic Development and Cultural Change,
Vol. 2 (351-378).
- Jayne, T.S., 1998. Market Reform, Institutional Constraints, and
Agricultural Productivity: Emerging Evidence from Africa,” Ethiopian
Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 3:1 (1-28).
- Masters, W. A., T. Bedingar, J. F. Oehmke, 1998. The Impact of Agricultural
Research in Africa: Aggregate and Case Study Evidence. Agricultural
Economics, Vol. 19:1-2 (81-86). Special issue containing selected
and edited papers presented during the XXII Conference of the International
Association of Agricultural Economists, Sacramento, California, August
- Rukuni, M., M. J. Blackie, C. K. Eicher, 1998. Crafting Smallholder-Driven
Agricultural Research Systems in Southern Africa. World Development,
Vol. 6 (1073-1087).
- Savadogo, K., T. Reardon, K. Pietola, 1998. Adoption of Improved
Land-Use Technologies to Increase Food Security in Burkina Faso: Relating
Animal Traction, Productivity, and Nonfarm Income. Agricultural
Systems, Vol. 58:3 (441-464).
- Boughton, D., T. Reardon, 1997. Will Promotion of Coarse Grain Processing
Turn the Tide for Traditional Cereals in the Sahel? Recent Empirical
Evidence from Mali. Food Policy, Vol. 4 (307-316).
- Jayne, T. S., 1997. The Role of Safety Nets During the Process of
Economic Growth: Discussion. American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Vol. 79:2 (684-687).
Thomas S. and Gem Argwings Kodhek. 1997. "Consumer
Response to Maize Market Liberalization in Urban Kenya." Food
Policy, v. 22, no. 5 (Oct.), pp. 447-458. Abstract.
- Jayne, T.S., S. Jones, 1997. Food Marketing and Pricing Policy in
Eastern and Southern Africa: A Survey. World Development,
Vol. 25:9 (1505 1527).
- Khatri, Y.; T.S. Jayne and Colin Thirtle. 1997. "A Profit Function Approach to the Efficiency Aspects of Land Reform in Zimbabwe." In Issues in Agricultural Competitiveness: Markets and Policies, edited by Roger Rose; Carolyn Tanner and Margot A. Bellamy, pp. 77‑87.
- Machethe, C. L., T. Reardon, D. C. Mead, 1997. Promoting Farm/Non-farm
Linkages for Employment of the Poor in South Africa: A Research Agenda
Focused on Small-scale Farms and Agroindustry. Development Southern
Africa, Vol. 14:3 (377-394).
- Myers, R. J., T. S. Jayne, 1997. Regime Shifts and Technology Diffusion
in Crop Yield Growth Paths With an Application to Maize Yields in Zimbabwe. Australian
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Vol. 41:3 (285-303).
- Myers, R. J., T. S. Jayne, 1997. Regime Shifts and Technology Diffusion
in Crop Yield Growth Paths With an Application to Maize Yields in Zimbabwe. Australian
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Vol. 41:3 (285-303).
- Reardon, T., 1997. Using Evidence of Household Income Diversification
to Inform Study of the Rural Nonfarm Labor Market it Africa. World
Development, Vol. 25:5 (735-748).
- Reardon, T., V. Kelly, E. W. Crawford, B. Diagana, J. Dioné,
K. Savadogo, D. Boughton, 1997. Promoting Sustainable Intensification
and Productivity Growth in Sahel Agriculture After Macroeconomics Policy
Reform. Food Policy, Vol. 22:4 (317-328).
- Rubey, L., F. Lupi, 1997. Effects of Market Reform in Zimbabwe: A
Stated Preference Approach. American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Vol. 79:1 (89-99).
- Sakurai, T., T. Reardon, 1997. Potential Demand for Drought Insurance
in Burkina Faso and Its Determinants. American Journal of Agricultural
Economics, Vol. 79:4 (1193-1207).
- Jayne, T.S., L. Rubey, F. Lupi, D. Tschirley, M. Weber, 1996. Estimating
Consumer Response to Food Market Reform Using Stated Preference Data:
Evidence from Eastern and Southern Africa. American Journal of
Agricultural Economics, Vol. 78:3 (820-824).
- Myers, R. and T.S. Jayne, 1996. “Regime Shifts and Technology Diffusion in Crop Yield Growth Paths: An Application to Maize Yields in Zimbabwe,” in Global Agricultural Science Policy for the Twenty-First Century, Melbourne, Australia, August 1996, The Conference Secretariat of Global Agricultural Science Policy for the Twenty-First Century.
- Oehmke, J. F., E. W. Crawford, 1996. The Impact of Agricultural Technology
in Sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of African Economies, Vol.
- Tschirley, D., C. Donovan, M. Weber, 1996. Food aid and food markets:
lessons from Mozambique. Food Policy, Vol. 21:2 (189-209)
- Kelly, V., T. Reardon, B. Diagana, 1995. Impacts of devaluation on
Senegalese households: policy implications. Food Policy, Vol.
- Tschirley, D., T.S. Jayne, Larry Rubey, 1995. Contronting the Silent
Challenge of Hunger: A Conference Synthesis. Conference report in Food
Policy, Vol. 20:79 (367-370).
- Rubey, L. 1995. The Impact of Policy Reform on Small-Scale Agribusiness: A Case Study of Maize Processing in Zimbabwe. African Rural and Urban Studies 2(2-3), 93-119. (Scanned copy)
- Jayne, T.S., 1994. Do High Food Marketing Costs Constrain Cash Crop
Production? Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol.
- Jayne, T.S., R. Myers, 1994. Price Uncertainty and Marketing Margins
in International Wheat Trade, The Review of Agricultural Economics,
Vol. 16 (63-73).
- Jayne, T.S., T. Takavarasha, J. van Zyl, 1994. National Agricultural
Restructuring and Emerging Regional Agricultural Trade Issues in Southern
Africa. Agrekon, Vol 33:4 (184-201).
- Jayne, T.S., Y. Khatri, C. Thirtle, T. Reardon, 1994. Determinants
of Productivity Change Using a Profit Function Approach: The Case of
Zimbabwe. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol.
- Kennedy, E. and T. Reardon. 1994. "Shift to Non-traditional Grains in the Diets of East and West Africa: Role of Women's Opportunity Cost of Time in Prepared-Food Consumption,” Food
Policy, 19 (1), February: 45-56.
- Reardon, T., E. Crawford, V. Kelly, 1994. Links Between Nonfarm Income
and Farm Investment in African Households: Adding the Capital Market
Perspective. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol.
76 (1172-1176). Also Dept. of Agric. Econ. Staff Paper No. 94-40, July.
- Tschirley, D., M. Weber, 1994. Food security strategies under extremely
adverse conditions: The determinants of household income and consumption
in rural Mozambique. World Development, Vol. 22:2 (159-173)
- Goetz, S.J. "Interlinked Markets and the Cash Crop-Food Crop Debate in Land-Abundant Tropical Agriculture." Economic Development and Cultural Change, 1993.
- Haddad, L. and T. Reardon. "Gender Bias in the Allocation of Resources Within Households in Burkina Faso: A Disaggregated Outlay Equivalent Analysis", Journal of Development Studies, January 1993.
- Jayne, T.S., E. Nuppenau, 1993. Maize Market Reform in Zimbabwe. Food
Policy, Vol. 18:4 (308-315).
- Jayne, T.S., L. Rubey, 1993. Maize Milling, Market Reform and Urban
Food Security: The Case of Zimbabwe. World Development, Vol.
- Jayne, T.S., M. Rukuni, 1993. The Costs of Food Self-Sufficiency:
Maize Pricing and Trade Policy in Zimbabwe. Agricultural Economics
Analysis and Rural Development, Vol. 3:2 (7-31).
- Jayne, T.S., M. Rukuni, 1993. Distributional Effects of Maize Self
Sufficiency in Zimbabwe: Implications for Pricing and Trade Policy. Food
Policy, Vol. 18:4 (334-341).
- Reardon, T. "Review of The Green Revolution Reconsidered: The Impact of High-Yielding Rice Varieties in South India, by P. Hazell and C. Ramasamy, with contributions by P.K. Aiyasamy et al.", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, January 1993.
- Reardon, T. "Cereal Imports in West Africa and the Potential Impacts of Sahelian Regional Protection", World Development, January 1993.
- Goetz, S.J. "Economies of Scope and the Cash Crop-Food Crop Debate in Senegal." World
Development, Vol. 20, No. 5, May 1992, pp. 727-8.
- Goetz, S.J. "A Selectivity Model of Household Marketing Behavior in Sub -Sahahran Africa."American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 74, No. 2, May 1992, pp. 444-452.
- Jayne, T.S., Isaac Minde, and Gem Argwings-Kodhek (eds), 2002. Perspectives on Agricultural Transformation: A View from Africa. Nova Science, New York.
- Oehmke, J. F., E. W. Crawford, 1992. Evaluating the Impacts of Selected
Investments in Agricultural Technology in Sub-Saharan Africa. A.I.D.
Evaluation News, Vol. 4 (17-21). Also Staff Paper 92-84.
- Posner, J. L., E. W. Crawford, 1992. Improving Fertilizer Recommendations
for Subsistence Farmers in West Africa: The Use of Agro-Economic Analysis
of On-Farm Trials. Fertilizer Research, Vol. 32 (333-342).
- Reardon, T. "Economic Evaluation of Sustainable Agriculture: Challenges from Agroforestry: discussion", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, August 1992.
- Reardon, T. and S. Vosti. "Issues in the Analysis of the Effects of Policy on Conservation and Productivity at the Household Level in Developing Countries", Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, (4) October - December 1992.
- Webb, P. and T. Reardon, "Drought Impact and Household Response in East and West Africa", Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, (3) July-September 1992.
- Buccola, S.T., and C. Sukume, “Regulated-Price and Stock Policies: Interaction Effects and Welfare Preference.” Journal of Development Economics 35 (1991): 281 - 305.
- Jayne, T.S., M. Chisvo, 1991. Unravelling Zimbabwe's Food Insecurity
Paradox: Implications for Grain Market Reform in Southern Africa. Food
Policy, Vol. 16:4 (319-329).
- Loveridge, Scott. "Marketing in Rwanda: Imports and Infrastructure." Food Policy, April 1991.
- Posner, J. L., E. W. Crawford, 1991. An Agro-Economic Analysis of
Field Trials from a Farming Systems Research Perspective: Weed Control
in Rainfed Lowland Rice in Senegal. Experimental Agriculture,
Vol. 27 (231-41).
- Posner, J. L., E. W. Crawford, M. Kamuanga, 1991. Farmer Participation
in On-Farm Trials: The Case of Lowland Rice in Southern Senegal. Journal
for Farming Systems Research-Extension, Vol. 2 (125-34).
- Eicher, Carl K., l990. "Building African Scientific Capacity for Agricultural Development,"
Agricultural Economics. Vol. 4(2), pp. 117-143.
- Staatz, John M., Josué Dioné, and N. Nango Dembélé. 1989. "Cereals Market Liberalization in Mali."
World Development 17, No. 5 :703-18.
- Buccola, S.T., and C. Sukume. “Optimal Grain Pricing and Storage Policy in Controlled Agricultural Economies: Application to Zimbabwe.” World Development 16 (March 1988): 361 - 71.
- Weber, Michael T. and Thomas S. Jayne. "Food Security and Its Relationship to Technology, Institutions, Policies and Human Capital." Invited paper prepared for the Phase II Workshop of the Social Science Agricultural Agenda Project, March 17-18, 1988, Woodlands, Texas. East Lansing: Agricultural Economics Staff Paper No. 88-16, Michigan State University. 12 pp.
- Weber, Michael T., John M. Staatz, John S. Holtzman, Eric W. Crawford, and Richard H. Bernsten. "Informing Food Security Decisions in Africa: Empirical Analysis and Policy Dialogue." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 70, No. 5 (December, 1988):1044-52.
Questions, comments? Contact Us