Recent Journal Articles
- John Staatz, Frank Hollinger. West African Food Systems and Changing Consumer Demands. West African Papers, No.: 4. 15 Dec 2016.
- T.S. Jayne, Jordan Chamberlin, Lulama Traub, Nicholas Sitko, Milu Muyanga, Felix K. Yeboah, Ward Anseeuw, Antony Chapoto, Ayala Wineman, Chewe Nkonde and Richard Kachule. Africa's changing farm size distribution patterns: the rise of medium-scale farms. Agricultural Economics Volume 47, Issue S1, pages 197–214, November 2016.
- Belton, B., Bush, S.R., Little, D.C. 2016. Correspondence: Are Farmed Fish Just for the Wealthy? Nature. 538:171.(13 October 2016)
- Melinda Smale (2016): GMOs and poverty: the relationship between improved seeds and rural transformations, Canadian Journal of Development Studies / Revue canadienne d'études du développement.
- Adjognon, S.G., LSO Liverpool-Tasie, T. Reardon. 2016. Agricultural input credit in Sub-Saharan Africa: Telling myth from facts. Food Policy, October 2016.
- Lenis Saweda O. Liverpool-Tasie, Bolarin T. Omonona, Awa Sanou, Wale O. Ogunleye. Is increasing inorganic fertilizer use for maize production in SSA a profitable proposition? evidence from Nigeria. Food Policy, October: 2016.
- At Last, Evidence that African Agriculture is Powering Economic Transformation, The Conversation, September 26, 2016.
- William Burke, Thomas Jayne, J. Roy Black. 2016. Factors explaining the low and variable profitability of fertilizer application to maize in Zambia. Agricultural Economics, 48, 1-12.
- Richards, P, T. Reardon, D. Tschirley, T. Jayne, J. Oehmke, and D. Atwood. 2016. Cities and the future of agriculture and food security: a policy and programmatic roundtable. Food Security, Conference Report, 8(3), 04 July 2016.
- Xingliang Ma, Melinda Smale, David J. Spielman, Patricia Zambrano, Hina Nazli and Fatima Zaidi. A Question of Integrity: Variants of Bt Cotton, Pesticides and Productivity in Pakistan. Journal of Agricultural Economics. 4 July 2016.
- Ward Anseeuw, Thomas Jayne, Richard Kachule and John Kotsopoulos. The Quiet Rise of Medium-Scale Farms in Malawi. Land, 2016, 5, 19; doi:10.3390/land5030019.
- Liverpool-Tasie, L.S.O (2016). Is fertilizer use inconsistent with expected profit maximization in sub-Saharan Africa? “The case of rice in Nigeria”. Journal of Agricultural Economics. doi: 10.1111/1477-9552.12162
- Sitko, N. J., & Chamberlin, J. (2016). The geography of Zambia’s customary land: Assessing the prospects for smallholder development. Land Use Policy, 55, 49-60.
- Population growth, land allocation and conflict in Mali. Mark Skidmore, John Staatz, Nango Dembélé, Aissatou Ouédraogo. Area Development and Policy, Volume 1, Issue 1 pp. 113-131 | DOI: 10.1080/23792949.2016.1157444.
- Mason, N.M., A. Wineman, L. Kirimi, and D. Mather (2016). The Effects of Kenya's ‘Smarter’ Input Subsidy Programme on Smallholder Behaviour and Incomes: Do Different Quasi-experimental Approaches Lead to the Same Conclusions? Journal of Agricultural Economics, published online 12 April 2016.
- Zhou, Y. and J. Staatz (2016). Projected demand and supply for various foods in West Africa: Implications for investments and food policy, Food Policy 61: 198–212
- Haggblade, Steven, Kwaku G. Duodu, John D. Kabasa, Amanda Minnaar, Nelson K. O. Ojijo, and John R. N. Taylor. Emerging Early Actions to Bend the Curve in Sub-Saharan Africa’s Nutrition Transition. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 1-23. 2016.
- Megan Sheahan, Joshua Ariga, T.S. Jayne. Modeling the Effects of Input Market Reforms on Fertilizer Demand and Maize Production: A Case Study from Kenya. Journal of Agricultural Economics. 29 Feb 2016.
- Foreign Affairs, special edition on African Farmers in the Digital Age: How Digital Solutions Can Enable Rural Development, February 2016.
- Jayne, T.S. D. Mather, N.M. Mason, J. Ricker-Gilbert and E.W. Crawford 2015. Rejoinder to the comment by Andrew Dorward and Ephraim Chirwa on Jayne, T. S., D. Mather, N. Mason, and J. Ricker-Gilbert. 2013. How do fertilizer subsidy program affect total fertilizer use in sub-Saharan Africa? Crowding out, diversion, and benefit/cost assessments. Agricultural Economics 46(6):745-755.
- Minde I, S. Terblanche, B. Bashaasha, I.C. Madakadze, J. Snyder, and A. Mugisha (2015). Challenges for agricultural education and training (AET) institutions in preparing growing student populations for productive careers in the agri-food system. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies 5(2):137 – 169.
- Kaneene, J.B., S. Haggblade, and D.L. Tschirley (2015). Special issue introduction: Sub-Saharan Africa’s agri-food system in transition. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies 5(2):94 – 101
- Haggblade, S., A. Chapoto, A. Drame-Yayé, S.L. Hendriks, S. Kabwe, I. Minde, J. Mugisha, and S. Terblanche (2015). Motivating and preparing African youth for successful careers in agribusiness: Insights from agricultural role models. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies 5(2):170 – 189.
- Kabasa, J.D., J. Kirsten, and I. Minde (2015). Implications of changing agri-food system structure for agricultural education and training in Sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies 5(2):190 – 199.
- Tschirley, David, Thomas Reardon, Michael Dolislager e Jason Snyder. O Surgimento da Classe Média na África Oriental E Austral: Implicações Para a Transformação do Sistema Alimentar. Publicado em Journal of International Development, Vol. 27, #5 (2015).
- A ser publicado em Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, Setembro de 2015. A Transformação Emergente da Dieta Alimentar Africana: Implicações para o Emprego no Sistema Agro-Alimentar. Tschirley, D., J. Snyder, M. Dolislager, T. Reardon, S. Haggblade, J. Goeb, L. Traub, F. Ejobi, F. Meyer.
- Creating Scarcity from Abundance: Bumper Harvests, High Prices, and the Role of State Interventions in Zambian Maize Markets. Kuteya AK and NJ Sitko. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development. Volume 15 No. 4, September 2015.
- Hernandez, R.A., J.A. Berdegué, and T. Reardon. 2015. Modernizing Wholesalers and Guava Farmers in Mexico, Agricultural Economics 46.
- Hambulo Ngoma, Nicole M. Mason, Nicholas J. Sitko. Does minimum tillage with planting basins or ripping raise maize yields? Meso-panel data evidence from Zambia. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 212 (2015) 21–29.
- Nicholas Sitko and Jordan Chamberlin. The Anatomy of Medium-Scale Farm Growth in Zambia: What Are the Implications for the Future of Smallholder Agriculture? Land 2015, 4(3), 869-887.
- N.M. Mason, T.S. Jayne, and B. Shiferaw. Africa’s rising demand for wheat: Trends, drivers, and policy implications. Development Policy Review, 2015, 33 (5): 581-613.
- Burke, William, Robert Myers, and T.S. Jayne. 2015. A triple-hurdle model of production and market participation in Kenya’s dairy market. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 97(4): 1227–1246.
- T. Reardon. 2015. “The hidden middle: the quiet revolution in the midstream of agrifood value chains in developing countries,” Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 31(1): 45-63, doi:10.1093/oxrep/grv011
- Liverpool-Tasie, L.S.O, Adjognon, S and Kuku-Shittu, Y (2015).Productivity effects of sustainable intensification: The case of Urea deep placement for rice production in Niger State, Nigeria. African Journal of Agriculture and Resource Economics: 10:1.
- Liverpool-Tasie, LS.O, B. T.Omonona, A. Sanou and W. Ogunleye (2015). Is Increasing Inorganic Fertilizer Use in Sub-Saharan Africa a Profitable Proposition? Evidence from Nigeria. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No 7021.
- Takeshima, H and Liverpool-Tasie, L.S.O. (2015). Fertilizer subsidy, political influence and local food prices in sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Nigeria. Food Policy.
- T.S. Jayne. 2015. Land Dynamics and Future Trajectories of Structural Transformation in Africa. Simon Brand Keynote Address, Agrekon, 53(3), 1-15.
- Liverpool-Tasie L.S.O., B. T. Omonona, A. Sanou and W. Ogunleye. 2015. Is Increasing Inorganic Fertilizer Use in Sub-Saharan Africa a Profitable Proposition? Evidence from Nigeria. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No. 7021.
- Liverpool-Tasie, L.S.O., S. Adjognon, and Y. Kuku-Shittu. 2015. Productivity effects of sustainable intensification: The case of urea deep placement for rice production in Niger State, Nigeria. African Journal of Agriculture and Resource Economics: 10:1
- Mathenge, M.K., M. Smale and D. Tschirley. 2015. Off-farm Employment and Input Intensification among Smallholder Maize Farmers in Kenya. Journal of Agricultural Economics 66(2):519–536.
- Tschirley, D., J. Snyder, M. Dolislager, T. Reardon, S. Haggblade, J. Goeb, L. Traub, F. Ejobi, F. Meyer. Africa’s Unfolding Diet Transformation: Implications for Agrifood System Employment. Journal Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies. September, 2015.
- Tschirley, David, Thomas Reardon, Michael Dolislager, and Jason Snyder. The Rise of a Middle Class in East and Southern Africa: Implications for Food System Transformation. Journal of International Development. May, 2015.
- W.J. Burke, R.J. Myers, T.S. Jayne, A Triple-Hurdle Model of Production and Market Participation in Kenya's Dairy Market. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2015.
- Steven Haggblade, John Staatz, Duncan Boughton, Boubacar Diallo, Ferdinand Meyer, Isaac Joseph Minde, Lulama Ndibongo Traub & David Tschirley. Regional dimensions of South Africa’s CAADP process: lessons from West Africa. African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Volume10, No. 1 (March 2015): 32-50.
- Olwande, J., M. Smale, M.K. Mathenge, F. Place, D. Mithöfer, 2015. Agricultural marketing by smallholders in Kenya: A comparison of maize, kale and dairy. Food Policy 52: 22-32.
- Smale, Melinda, Eliab Simpungwe, Ekin Birol, Girma Tesfahun Kassie, Hugo de Groote, Raphael Mutale. The Changing Structure of the Maize Seed Industry in Zambia: Prospects for Orange Maize. Agribusiness, Vol. 31 (1) 132–146 (2015).
See complete list of Journal Articles
Recent Books, Book Chapters, Monographs and Published
- Africa Agriculture Status Report 2016. Progress towards Agricultural Transformation in Africa. Released on September 6, 2016 by the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA).
Reardon, T. 2016. Growing Food for Growing Cities: Transforming Food Systems in an Urbanizing World. Chicago: The Chicago Council on Global Affairs. April.
- Minten, B., T. Reardon, S. Das Gupta, D. Hu, K.A.S. Murshid. 2016. "Wastage in Food Value Chains in Developing Countries: Evidence from the Potato Sector in Asia." Chap. 15 in Food Security in a Food Abundant World: An Individual Country Perspective, A. Schmitz, P.L. Kennedy, and T.G Schmitz, eds. Emerald Publishing: pages 225-238.
- Adjognon, S., S. Liverpool-Tasie, and T. Reardon. Forthcoming (2016). Challenging Conventional Wisdom about Farm Input Credit in Sub-Saharan Africa. Chapter in book, Christiaensen, L. and L. Demery, eds., 2016, Agriculture In Africa - Telling Facts from Myths, World Bank: Washington D.C.
- Reardon, T., D. Tschirley, B. Minten, S. Haggblade, S. Liverpool-Tasie, M. Dolislager, J. Snyder, C. Ijumba. Transformation of African Agrifood Systems in the New Era of Rapid Urbanization and the Emergence of a Middle Class. Chapter in the Proceedings Volume of the ReSAKSS Annual Conference, “Beyond a Middle Income Africa,” Trends and Outlook Report Conference held in Addis Ababa, September 1-3, 2015. Final version.
- Ngoma, H., P.B. Mulenga, and T.S. Jayne. What Explains Minimal Usage of Minimum Tillage Practices in Zambia? Evidence from District-Representative Data. Book of Condensed Papers Of the First Africa Congress on Conservation Agriculture. Lusaka, Zambia. 18-21 March, 2014.
- Kadiyala, Suneetha and Antony Chapoto. "The AIDS Epidemic, Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods: Review of Evidence in Africa." In David E. Sahn (editor), The Socioeconomic Dimensions of HIV/AIDS in Africa: Challenges, Opportunities and Misconception. New York: Cornell University, 2011.
- Ariga, J. and T.S. Jayne. 2010. Private-Sector Responses to Public Investments and Policy Reforms: The Case of Fertilizer and Maize Market Development in Kenya. In: Spielman, David, J. and Rajul Pandya-Lorch.(eds.) "Proven successes in agricultural development: a technical compendium to Millions Fed," IFPRI: Washington, D.C., pp. 349-380
- Ariga, J., and T.S. Jayne. 2010. Maize trade and marketing policy interventions in Kenya. In A. Sarris and J. Morrison (eds), Food Security in Africa: Markets and Trade Policy for Staple Foods in Eastern and Southern Africa, Cheltenham, UK, Edward Elgar Publishers.
- Govereh, J., A. Chapoto, and T.S. Jayne. 2010. Assessment of alternative maize trade and market policy interventions in Zambia. In A. Sarris and J. Morrison (eds), Food Security in Africa: Markets and Trade Policy for Staple Foods in Eastern and Southern Africa, Cheltenham, UK, Edward Elgar Publishers.
See complete list of Books, Book Chapters, Monographs and Published
Questions, comments? Contact Us