Michigan State University's Food Security Group is pleased to share with you recent papers and presentation which we hope might help inform deliberations at the forthcoming (June 11-12) 2010 US-Africa Forum on Farming Is A Business: Strengthening Linkages and Skills to Transform Africa's Food System, being presented by The Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty in Africa, the Joaquim Chissano Foundation, and the John A. Kufuor Foundation.
Agriculture, Structural Transformation, Ag Productivity Drivers and Pathways Out of Poverty:
Value Chain Development:
Specific Value Chains:
Improving Performance of Food Markets:
- Strengthening Staple Food Markets in Eastern And Southern Africa: Toward An Integrated Approach for CAADP Investment Plans. T.S. Jayne, Antony Chapoto, and Jordan Chamberlin. Policy Syntheses #89. September 2011.
- Developing staple food markets to reduce hunger and poverty: Strategies for FTF. T.S. Jayne. Presented at the Food Security III Symposium: Applying a Quarter- Century of Food Security “Lessons Learned” to Implementing the Feed the Future Initiative. USAID Washington D.C. October 4, 2010. As found on USAID's Agrilinks
- Evaluating the Impact on Market Performance of Investments in Market Information Systems: Methodological Challenges. John M. Staatz, Andrew M. Kizito, Michael T. Weber, Niama Nango Dembélé. MSU AFRE Staff Paper no. 2011-08. June 2011.
- How Can the Poorest Smallholder Farmers Benefit More From Staple Food Markets? Duncan Boughton, David Mather, Nango Dembele, T.S. Jayne and Abdoul Murekezi. Presentation to Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation by Michigan State University’s Food Security Group: August 10-11, 2010
Land Access Issues:
- Emerging Land Issues in African Agriculture: Implications for Food Security and Poverty Reduction Strategies. Presentation at USAID by Dr. Thomas Jayne. Washington, DC. May 31, 2012.
- Land Constraints in Smallholder Agriculture: Toward the Identification of Appropriate Agricultural Commercialization Strategies for Densely Populated Rural Areas. T.S. Jayne, Milu Muyanga, Jordan Chamberlin. Seminar organized by the International Food Policy Research Institute at the ILRI Campus, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. November 4, 2011.
- Integrating the Goals of Productive Land Use and Equitable Rural Development. T.S. Jayne and Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute. Seminar organized by the Indaba Institute, Lusaka, Zambia, December 2, 2011.
Capacity Building Issues:
Improving Food Security in Africa: Highlights of 25 Years of Research, Capacity-Building, and Outreach. The MSU Food Security Group. MSU International Development Policy Synthesis Number 84. October 2009.