Zambia FSRP Professional Publications
(Note: Most documents are in PDF format, which requires Adobe Reader.)
- Sitko, N. J. (2013). ‘My hunger has brought business’:‘efficiency’ and the de-moralizing logic of maize distribution in an era of market liberalization. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 40(2), 413-430.
- Mason, N.M. and R.J. Myers (2013). “The effects of the Food Reserve Agency on maize market prices in Zambia.” Agricultural Economics. Published online 1/8/2013.
- Sitko, N. J. (2012). Hunger for Money: Maize, Food-Insecurity, and Identity Formation Within Polygynous Households in Rural Southern Zambia. Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 15(3), 415-435.
- Mason, Nicole M. and Ricker-Gilbert, Jacob. "Disrupting Demand for Commercial Seed: Input Subsidies in Malawi and Zambia." World Development. Published online 20 December 2012.
- Chapoto, Antony, Lilian Kirimi, and Suneetha Kadiyala. (2012) Poverty and Prime-Age Mortality in Eastern and Southern Africa: Evidence from Zambia and Kenya. World Development (Available online 14 May 2012).
- Sitko, N. and T.S. Jayne. (2012) Why are African commodity exchanges languishing? A case study of the Zambian Agricultural Commodity Exchange. Food Policy, 37: 275–282.
- Richardson, Robert B., Ana Fernandez, David Tschirley, and Gelson Tembo. (2012) Wildlife Conservation in Zambia: Impacts on Rural Household Welfare. World Development Vol. 40, No. 5, pp. 1068–1081.
- Myers, Robert and T.S. Jayne (2012). “Multiple-Regime Spatial Price Transmission with an Application to Maize Markets in Southern Africa”. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 94(1): 174–188.
- Kadiyala, Suneetha and Antony Chapoto. "The AIDS Epidemic, Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods: Review of Evidence in Africa." In David E. Sahn (editor), The Socioeconomic Dimensions of HIV/AIDS in Africa: Challenges, Opportunities and Misconception. New York: Cornell University, 2011.
- Chapoto, Antony, Thomas Jayne, and Nicole Mason. 2011. Widows’ Land Security in the Era of HIV/AIDS: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia, Economic Development and Cultural Change, 59(3): 511-547.
- N. Mason, T. S. Jayne, A. Chapoto, and C. Donovan. Putting the 2007/08 global food crisis in longer-term perspective: Trends in staple food affordability in urban Zambia and Kenya. Food Policy 36 (3): 350–367. June 2011.
- Abbink, K., T.S. Jayne, and L. Moller. 2011. The Relevance of a Rules-Based Maize Marketing Policy: An Experimental Case Study of Zambia. Journal of Development Studies, 47(2): 207-230.
- Govereh, J., A. Chapoto, and T.S. Jayne. 2010. Assessment of alternative maize trade and market policy interventions in Zambia. In A. Sarris and J. Morrison (eds), Food Security in Africa: Markets and Trade Policy for Staple Foods in Eastern and Southern Africa, Cheltenham, UK, Edward Elgar Publishers.
- Jayne, T.S., D. Mather, and E. Mghenyi. 2010. "Principal Challenges Confronting Smallholder Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa". World Development, 38(10): 1384-1398
- Mason, N. M., T. S. Jayne, A. Chapoto, and R. Myers. 2010. A Test of the New Variant Famine Hypothesis: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia. World Development, 38(3): 356-368.
- Smale, M. and T.S. Jayne. 2010. Breeding an “Amazing” Crop: Improved maize in Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Chapter 4 in in Spielman, D., and R. Pandya-Lorch (eds) Millions Fed: Proven Successes in Agricultural Development. International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC.
- Tembo, G., A. Chapoto, T.S. Jayne, M. Weber. 2010. Fostering Food Market Development in Zambia. Zambia Social Science Journal, Volume 1(1): 39-60
- Tschirley, David L., Colin Poulton, Nicholas Gergely, Patrick Labaste, John Baffes, Duncan Boughton and Gérald Estur (2010). Institutional Diversity and Performance in African Cotton Sectors. Development Policy Review, 2010, 28 (3): 295-323
- Tschirley, David L., Hichaambwa, Munguzwe, Mwiinga, Mukwiti. 2010. Comparative assessment of the marketing structure and price behavior of three staple vegetables in Lusaka, Zambia. In Weibel and Mithoefer, Eds, "Understanding the Silent Revolution: New Socio-Economic Research on Horticultural Production and Marketing in Africa". CABI.
- Tschirley, David L., T.S. Jayne. 2010. Exploring the Logic Behind Southern Africa’s Food Crises. World Development Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 76–87.
- Abbink, K., T.S. Jayne, Lars C. Moller. Forthcoming. The Relevance of a Rules-Based Maize Marketing Policy: An Experimental Case Study of Zambia. Accepted by Journal of Development Economics. September 2009.
- Chapoto, A., T.S. Jayne, Nicole M. Mason. Forthcoming. Widows' Land Security in the Era of HIV/AIDS: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia. Economic Development and Cultural Change. Final version accepted: July 2009.
- Dorosh, P., Dradri, S., Steven Haggblade. 2009. "Regional trade, government policy and food security: Recent evidence from Zambia". Food Policy 34 (2009) 350–366.
- Xu, Z., Guan, Z., Jayne, T.S. and Black , R. 2009. "Factors influencing the profitability of fertilizer use on maize in Zambia". Agricultural Economics Volume 40 (2009): 437 - 446.
- Xu, Z, Burke, W. J., Jayne, T.S., and J. Govereh. 2009. "Do Input Subsidy Programs 'Crowd in' or 'Crowd out' Commercial Market Development? Modeling Fertilizer Demand in a Two-Channel Marketing System." Agricultural Economics 40 (2009): 79-94.
- Haggblade, S., Maureen Chitundu and Klaus Droppelmann. 2008. Intervening in Value Chains: Lessons from Zambia's Task Force on Acceleration of Cassava Utilisation. Journal of Development Studies. 45(4): pages 593 - 620
- Chapoto, A. and T.S. Jayne. 2008. Impact of AIDS-Related Deaths on Farm Households’ Welfare in Zambia. Economic Development and Cultural Change, 56 (2): 327-374.
- Byron, E., A, Chapoto, M. Drinkwater, S. Gillespie, P. Hamazakaza, T. Jayne, S. Kadiyala, M. McEwan, and F. Samuels. 2007. AIDS and Agriculture in Zambia. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 28(2): S339-344.
- Barratt, N., D. Chitundu, O. Dover, J. Elsinga, S. Eriksson, L. Guma, M. Haggblade, S. Haggblade, T.O. Henn, F.R. Locke, C. O'Donnell, C. Smith and T. Stevens. "Cassava as drought insurance: Food security implications of cassava trials in Central Zambia". Agrekon, Vol 45, No 1. March 2006.
- Byerlee, D., T.S. Jayne, and R. Myers. 2006. Managing food price risks and instability in a liberalizing market environment: Overview and policy options, Food Policy, Vol. 31 (4): 275-287.
- Chapoto, Antony and T.S. Jayne. 2006. Socioeconomic Characteristics of Individuals Afflicted by AIDS-Related Prime-Age Mortality in Zambia, in Gillespie, S. (ed.), AIDS, Poverty, and Hunger: Challenges and Responses, Washington, D.C., IFPRI.
- Jayne,T.S., Antony Chapoto, Elizabeth Byron, Mukelabai Ndiyoi, Petan Hamazakaza, Suneetha Kadiyala, and S. Gillespie. January 2006. Community-Level Impacts of AIDS-Related Mortality: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia, Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 28 (3): 440-457.
- Jayne, T.S., B. Zulu, and J.J. Nijhoff. 2006. Stabilizing Food Markets in Eastern and Southern Africa. Food Policy, Vol. 31 (4): 328-341.
- Jayne, T. S., Marcela Villarreal, Prabhu Pingali and Günter Hemrich. HIV/AIDS and the Agricultural Sector: Implications for Policy in Eastern and Southern Africa. electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics. Vol. 2, No. 2, 2005, pp. 158-181.
- Haggblade, S., with Barratt et al. Cassava as Drought Insurance in Central Zambia. 2005. Zambian Farmer 8(7):13. (non-refereed)
- Mather, D., C. Donovan, T.S. Jayne, and M. Weber. 2005. Using Empirical Information in the Era of HIV/AIDS to Inform Mitigation and Rural Development Strategies: Selected Results from African Country Studies. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 87:5 (1289-1297).
- Xu, Z., T. Jayne, R. Black, and J. Govereh. 2005. Profitability of Fertilizer Use on Maize by Small-Scale Farming Households in Zambia. Selected Paper presented at the American Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting, July 24-27, 2005, Providence, Rhode Island.
- Crawford, E., V. Kelly, T. Jayne, and J. Howard. 2003. Input Use and Market Development in subs-Saharan Africa: An Overview. Food Policy, Vol. 28(4): 277-292.
- Jayne, T.S., J. Govereh, M. Wanzala, and M. Demeke. 2003. Fertilizer Market Development: A Comparative Analysis of Ethiopia, Kenya, and Zambia. Food Policy, Vol. 28(4): 293-316. Science Direct Summary.
- Jayne, T.S. T. Yamano, M. Weber, D. Tschirley, R. Benfica, A. Chapoto, and B. Zulu. 2003. Smallholder Income and Land Distribution in Africa: Implications for Poverty Reduction Strategies. Food Policy, Vol. 28(3): 253-275. Science Direct Summary.
- Jayne, T.S., J. Govereh, A. Mwanaumo, J. Nyoro, and A. Chapoto. 2002. False Promise or False Premise: The Experience of Food and Input Market Reform in Eastern and Southern Africa. World Development, Vol 30 (11): 1967-1986. Summary.
- Jayne, T.S., J. Govereh, A. Mwanaumo, J. Nyoro, and A. Chapoto. 2002. “False Promise or False Premise: The Experience of Food and Input Marketing in Eastern and Southern Africa,” in Jayne, T.S., Isaac Minde, and Gem Argwings-Kodhek (eds), 2002. Perspectives on Agricultural Transformation: A View from Africa. Nova Science, New York.
- Jayne, Thomas S.; Stephen Jones; Mulinge Mukumbu and Share Jiriyengwa. 1997. "Maize Marketing and Pricing Policy in Eastern and Southern Africa." In Africa's Emerging Maize Revolution, edited by Derek Byerlee and Carl K. Eicher. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers, pp. 213‑243.
- Jayne, T.S., L. Rubey, F. Lupi, D. Tschirley, and M. Weber, 1996. “Estimating Consumer Response to Food Market Reform Using Stated Preference Data: Evidence from Eastern and Southern Africa,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 78, No. 3 (August): 820-824.